Thread: Tea Timer / Resident not remembering decisions

Question Tea Timer / Resident not remembering decisions

When I change User in Windows XP:
    every time asks if I wish to allow registry change to DefaultUserName, also registry change to lexpps.exe (I assume this is the printer).
    I Allow Change & tick the Remember this Decision box.

If I check the "Allowed Registry Changes" Whitelist in Settings, these entries are there, but next time I change User, they are gone, and I get the same questions.

Why are the "Allowed Registry Changes" being lost? It's very annoying, especially as I set up the new User account to make it easier for a novice to use the computer. She now gets bombarded with Tea Timer queries!

Using Spybot 1.5.2.20 with Windows XP sp2

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

PeteMoon:

Don't switch between users when using TeaTimer. Log off of one account running TeaTimer before logging on to anther that is running TeaTimer.

Using that technique should prevent interference between the two TeaTimers running concurrently and you should be able to record the entries in TeaTimer's "Allowed registry entries" (RegKeyWhite.sbe).

I just tried that and was able record the following in the RegKeyWhite.sbe file:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName=User_1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName=User_2
    ps: You should upgrade to Spybot 1.6 and Windows XP SP3
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-08-01 at 16:39.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks

md usa spybot fan - Thanks for the reply.

I do get the entries posted to the RegKeyWhite.sbe file, (I've checked using "Settings" in Resident), but they don't stay there, despite ticking the "Remember this decision" box. The next time I change User, it asks the same question, and the RegKeyWhite.sbe file is blank.

I am changing User by logging off, and logging on to the new User, not switching.

Maybe I should try Spybot 1.6!

PeteMoon:

Make sure that all users have full permissions on the following registry key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\SpyBotSnD\Timestamp

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Permissions?

md usa spybot fan:

Thanks for the suggestion:

Make sure that all users have full permissions on the following registry key:

Code:
    I'm a bit of a newbe, and not sure how I do this??

PeteMoon

PeteMoon:

Make sure that all users have full permission on the following registry key:

Code:
    From a computer administrator account using Registry Editor, navigate to the following Registry Key and look at the permissions:

Code:
    Specific instructions:
    • Go into Start > Run… > type "regedit" (no quotes) > then click "OK".
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE by clicking the + (plus sign) in front of it.
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE by clicking the + (plus sign) in front Software.
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited by clicking the + (plus sign) in front Safer Networking Limited.
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\SpyBotSnD by clicking the + (plus sign) in front of SpyBotSnD.
    • Right click on Timestamp (actually HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\SpyBotSnD\Timestamp) and select "permissions…".
    • Make sure that for the "Group or user name" that is have problems saving whitelist changes that "Deny" is not checked for "Full Control". If "Deny" is checked, uncheck it and click "OK", otherwise click "Cancel".

Default Advice doesn't seem to help

I have same issue. "Remember this decision" to the following Tea Timer dialog...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName=<user>

...does not stick after logging out. Above instructions don't seem to help. The key...

...already had NO users checked as "Deny". But not all are checked as "Allow" either (is that the problem?).

My machine is XP Pro with SP3. I use the Welcome screen, but Fast User Switching is disabled, so each user must logout before another can log in. I am set up as the only admin, all other users are "limited". Permissions on this key only shows my user profile by name, then there are "Users" and "Power Users" as a groups, then CREATOR OWNER and SYSTEM. The limited user profiles are not listed individually.

My hope is to enable each member of my family (all limited users except me) to use PC safely with minimum of Tea Timer prompts. Having to approve each "Winlogon" change to Tea Timer is a real annoyance. Thanks!

I am having the same issue as well. I completely log off then get the annoying 'winlogon' prompt and have to allow the change. Even after I check 'remember my decision' it always comes back up.

There are like 7 people who use this PC so they all need individual logins.

If anyone finds a fix please let me know... happy holidays.