Thread: Spybot Corrupting user profiles

Default Spybot Corrupting user profiles

hello,

I seem to have an issue with spybot corrupting user profiles. i have several pc's with multiple profiles but only 2 so far as showing the corrupt local profile when i reboot and log in.

has anyone else seen this issue? i've got it reasoned to spybot and when i uninstall spybot the error goes away the the user profiles are not corrupted?

any help on this issue would be awesome.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

CrazyEyesITGuy:

I'm sure that it would help someone attempting to analyze your problem if you indicated:
    • What version of Spybot you are running (Spybot » Help » About).
    • What Windows operating system you are running under.
    • Exactly what you mean by a corrupt user profile (messages, symptoms, etc.).
    • What you did with Spybot before the user profiles became corrupted (just install, immunize, "Check for problems" followed by a "Fix selected problems", etc.).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

There is an issue when you kill the Spybot-S&D process and then switch users, or switch users while it is still running, since it's trying to scan those and locking them. After a reboot (or closing Spybot-S&D) it'll be ok again.

That has nothing to do with uninstalling (except that uninstalling will terminate a running Spybot-S&D as well of course).

See also:
    Fast User Switching during a scan
    Terminal Services & user profiles
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default corrupted user profile

WinXP Pro SP2 - up to date fixes, SD 1.5.2 latest definitions file

I have a limited account which I just have set up SD to run on a schedule. Also set SD to RUN AS ADMIN account so it would download updates. First attempt at scheduling SD missed and when I tried to logon right after that I got a missing or corrupt local profile. Never had that problem before.

Did a system restore to back before I set up schedule for SD and got the user profile back but now it will not operate in limited mode. Had to give it temp admin privileges in order to read email, address book, ect.

I think somehow SD modified the limited privileges so that now only an admin can use that account.

Hannamar

Angry Spybot is corrupting user profiles

i am having the same problem with v1.52. i update the user's spybot to this version, under an admin acct, then restart the computer and log back in under the same admin acct. then log out, try to log in as the user, and i get a windows error message that the user acct is corrupt and can't be loaded. we are on WinXP, SP2, all the very latest updates.

i hate to have our users be without spybot protection, but i can't have every user profile going corrupt either. nothing works to try to regain the user profile. i have to scratch the system and do a reload.

not a happy camper!

Graywolf,
    When I had this problem - see earlier post, I did some research on restoring user profile in XP. Here is a pretty good one:

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2004/1...-user-profile/

Hannamar

I'm seeing this too on W2000 pc's running Spybot 1.60. In my case I have two profiles administrator and student (limited account). I would be updating software in the administrator profile, logoff and login to the student profile to see that another student profile has been created (the machine I'm typing on has student, student.E26 and student.E23). This can happen over and over. I've had to stop updating spybot.

Rick

Do you do anything else than updating?
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Or more important, do you have SpybotSD.exe open while updating?

This should not appear when using just the updater, if you reboot after updating, and in 1.6.1 not at all.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)