Thread: Spybot S&D runs very slowly

posters
    did you run the "small fix"
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
    all those upgrading from 1.4 or 1.3 should do this

I am running 1.6 on 98 SE no problems

AVG poster when you remove avg 7
    http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavg.shtml
    then go to bottom of pc hell page and run uninstallers for any other AV's even pre-installed ones
    THEN
    http://dl.antivir.de/down/windows/registrycleaner.zip
    (even if you have never had Antivir)

I switched to AVAST- seems to run well with W98 and easy on the incremental updates

Lightbulb hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Guingion View Post
    and Wise Registry Cleaner..
    Registry cleaners are not recommended, see here for more info:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    Registry cleaners are not recommended, see here for more info:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038
    there is different opinions on that, right now i use some myself. but to be sure of not getting into trouble, dont use them. i just format the computer if getting trouble.

Guingion: i too use norman, it is very user friendly. i buyed it some days ago it was cheap and last for two years.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-03 at 19:05.

I have to make a little correction about registrycleaning: on the Windows 98SE machine I don't run a registry cleaner. On my XP machine I do and only remove the keys that I know are safe (like mru's).
    Also I ran the little fix at uninstalling the old Spybot-version.

I observed that the virtumonde-section ran very slow, is this a hint as to where the problem lies?

Lightbulb maybe....

have you tried scanning in safe mode? Also you can exclude the virtumonde-section from scanning in spybot by doing the following: open spybot. click mode-advanced mode. Click yes. go to settings-ignore products. look for virtumonde and exclude it from the scans.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-08-03 at 20:32.

Default Might try Priority setting change?

Will Scan Priority setting to "Time Critical" help? I noticed there is such a setting after completing a scan with 1.6.

Under Windows98 on 10 year old laptop with 2GB C drive, Pent II, 256MB memory: 2 and half hours with priority set to "Normal". Next time I'll try a higher priority.

Incidentally I am experiencing difficulties with 1.6.

Have been trying different combinations of actions to work around. Cannot go on stand-by unless kill TeaTimer with CTL-ALT-DLT / CANCEL. CPU Usage (according to Norton System Doctor) stays around 99% even when nothing else is happening. Once in a while it will drop to the 20-37% range.

Will look for a relevent thread. If not one, will start one when I give up trying combinations.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Harry99:

Please do not set the "Scan Priority" for the Spybot scan to "Time Critical". I do not believe that it will significantly reduce your scan time and may in fact may prevent (or at the very least severely limit) your ability to doing anything else on your system until the scan is finished.

Please start your own thread and I will be happy to discuss the implications of the scan priority as well as the CPU usage of "TeaTimer" which has a beta version that greatly reduces CPU utilization except immediately after updates.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Scan priority, standby, 99%

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Harry99:

Please do not set the "Scan Priority" for the Spybot scan to "Time Critical". I do not believe that it will significantly reduce your scan time and may in fact may prevent (or at the very least severely limit) your ability to doing anything else on your system until the scan is finished.

Please start your own thread and I will be happy to discuss the implications of the scan priority as well as the CPU usage of "TeaTimer" which has a beta version that greatly reduces CPU utilization except immediately after updates.
    Thanks. I have now started a thread on the Standby issue "Cannot go on Standby". But have changed the problem statement slightly because actually I can go on Standby if I exit TeaTimer normally - at least in very simple tests. I cannot go on Standby unless exiting by one means or another. And I meant to write in the above "CTL-ALT-DLT | END TASK".

Default You're not alone

I too am running win98se and when s&d reached virtumonde it slows down to a crawl. My 466mhz with 256k ram will run "all day". It's not hung up, just slooooowwww because I keep checking the logs. Frustrating not knowing when it will finish. Anyone know how much longer after it passes virtumonde? I have about 95,000 files to get thru.
    Thanks.

Hello,

The scan for Virtumonde takes a little bit longer than the scan for other products. That's because the Virtumonde scan routine and detection rules are very complex. So as there is only Virtumonde in your status bar and not on the results list you are not infected. Nothing to worry.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot