Thread: Spybot's request to delete temp files

Default Spybot's request to delete temp files

One of the features added in 1.6 is a query upon load to allow SB to remove temp files (when it finds a lot of them).
    Since I regularly use CCleaner (and ocassionally Disk Cleanup) to remove an abundance of temp files, I'm wondering what files SB is "finding"??
    Is it absolutely safe to allow SpyBot to remove all the "temp" files it finds? In particular, I note that some of the temp files it finds are currently in use, and then SB says it can't remove these.

I'm wondering what files SB is "finding"??
    i am also wondering about this, i couldnt see that it was temporary internet files it finds because they werent deleted when allowing spybot to remove the temp files it found.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-01 at 16:00.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Gentlemen:

I believe that Spybot may be looking at either:
    • C:\WINDOWS\Temp
      --- or ---
    • What would be displayed if you enter the command %temp% which includes the files in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and the user's temp files (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp in Windows XP)

In either case the default "TempFolderCleanMinimum" is set at 100 so that the message will not appear if there are not at least 100 temporary files in the system. Personally, I have never received the message to clean the files.

ky331:

Apparently the cleanups that you are using are not cleaning enough of these temporary files (or at lease so that when you run Spybot that there at least 100 temporary files remaining).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

If you were to use Spybot to delete temp files as stated, would it use standard windows deletion or secure deletion using its secure shredder?

Quote Originally Posted by ky331 View Post
    One of the features added in 1.6 is a query upon load to allow SB to remove temp files (when it finds a lot of them).
    How is this query disabled? I don't want SB to delete files from my c:\temp directory upon startup. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    In either case the default "TempFolderCleanMinimum" is set at 100 so that the message will not appear if there are not at least 100 temporary files in the system. Personally, I have never received the message to clean the files.
    Where is this "TempFolderCleanMinimum" parameter located? In the Windows registry?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

busman:

Please see this post.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.