Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: After scan reboot returns c:\windows\system32\command.com the parameter is incorrect

Angry After scan reboot returns c:\windows\system32\command.com the parameter is incorrect

After performing scan, it reported that certain items could not be fixed and asked if it could run after reboot. The system was rebooted and now it reports error:
    c:\windows\system32\command.com

The parameter is incorrect. Clicking it keeps report error message over and over. The system never really goes beyond that point.

this is also happening to me. This is the second incident where after a scan has fixed problems this error occurs. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening or a fix?

this has also happened to me. can we know somethink about this ASAP as i am in dire need of my computer.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Log on to the system in safe mode. Start regedit. Navigate to the following registry key and see if there is an entry with "c:\windows\system32\command.com ..." in the data portion of the entry:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    If there is, please copy down the entry (or export it) and then delete the entry. Restart your system in normal mode.

If you found the entry described above, please post what you found.

If there was no entry please post what Windows OS you are running and if you can remember what you were fixing, please post that.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I have just tryed what the above post said to do and i am not haveing any joy. I cant even boot up safe mode its just crashing all the time. Have you any other ideas? what do you think that the problem is? Does it look like i will have to format?

my specs:

EVGA 680i mobo
    8800 GTS nividia grapics card
    2GIG Crucial Balistics RAM
    Q6600 2.4gig CPU
    Samsung 300GIG Harddrive
    Windows XP SP2

Other softwere

Xfire
    Zango
    Ventrillo 3.1.2 version
    AVG (free edition)

I literly cant use my computer as my computer seems to have locked down in a way i cant open anything at all.

if you guys need more help just post and ill reply

I hope this helps sort the problem
    I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by cr4zyl3gs View Post
    Other softwere

Xfire
    Zango
    Ventrillo 3.1.2 version
    AVG (free edition)
    Zango is an adware.

Info (From Spybot-S&D)

Functionality: Zango is labeled adware that enables access to more Zangocontent and software.

Privacy: While Zango Software is installed on your computer it generates logs of your web browsing activity, including web pages you have visited and the order in which you visited these pages. These logs may be uploaded to Zango’s servers, along with an anonymous user ID assigned to the Zango Software installed on your computer (your “Anonymous User ID”). These logs and your Anonymous User ID are referred to collectively as “Usage Data.” Zango may use Usage Data for market research purposes and to provide you with content specifically targeted to your interests at times when we think the content is most relevant. Zango may store Usage Data on our servers, for our use, and may aggregate Usage Data from these logs and share the aggregate data with third parties. The Zango Software will also put a "cookie" on your machine so that we are able to recognize you and display appropriate targeted websites. A cookie is a small amount of data that Zango’s servers transfer to your browser and that only Zango’s servers can read.

Description: during installation zango used to connect to bis.180solutions.com to access updates, this happened without user consent. The checkbox to agree to the EULA is already preselected.
    There is no common way to disable zango once it is installed, the user cannot configure its behaviour. It is added to system start and cannot be disabled through a common interface or context menu. An uninstallation via add/remove from windows system settings is possible but usually leaves a registry key on the computer. Also AFTER successful uninstall, zango tries to connect to a zango server for statistical analysis on uninstalls. A deactivated internet connection used to impair uninstall procedure 180Solutions is not to be trusted.

cr4zyl3gs:

I am not sure that I have even diagnosed the cause of the problem correctly. Since you apparently have access to another system, is there a way the you can mount the primary hard drive from the affected system as a slave on the another system, in a USB enclosure, etc., so that we can take a look at the registry and see if what I suspect is actually the cause of the problem?

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I am still having the issues above, but now i cant even boot into safe mode at all. I can also pull the drive and slave to another pc if needed. Tell me what i need to do for you guys to be able to look at the registry on this drive.

techofterror:

What Windows OS were you running on the system that you can't boot and what Windows OS are you running on the system where you can mount the master drive from that system as a slave or USB device?

Note: I have PMed Yodama (Team Spybot member) with the following:

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    New problem rebooting systems after attempted fix

Yodama:

Perhaps you would like to take a look at the following thread:
    Added with edit:

I received a response from Yodama:

Quote Originally Posted by Yodama
    Re: New problem rebooting systems after attempted fix

thank you for the note md usa spybot fan,
    we are going to have a look at this
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-08-04 at 17:47. Reason: Added information.

hello,

I think that md usa spybot fans did diagnose the symptoms of this issue correctly.
    But there appears to be an issue with the command.com and/or the cmd.exe on the affected computers.

Let's try another approach to eliminate the symptoms of this issue:
    • boot the computer normally
    • when the first error messages about the command.com appear open the taskmanager with ctrl+alt+del and then choosing the taskmanager
    • terminate the explorer.exe
    • then choose file - new task
    • enter the path to Spybot S&D (default: c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe) to start Spybot S&D
    • switch to advanced mode
    • navigate to tools - system startup
    • click the export button and save the startup report file to a location you can easily find later
    • remove all Spybotdelete entries from the startup list
    • within Spybot S&D (Processlist) terminate the remaining instances of command.com and cmd.exe (ntvdm.exe) and close the error message windows if they are still present ( you can mark multiple entries while holding the shift and/or ctrl key and terminate them together)
    • from the Taskmanager choose File - new task and enter explorer to restart the explorer
    • attach the startup report file you saved ealier to your next post

We will require the startup report file to diagnose the cause of this issue. We may also require a complete log file later.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.