Thread: Portable SpyBot on a USB Drive

Default Portable SpyBot on a USB Drive

If I want to run SpyBot from a USB drive to ONLY scan backup and delete what files are not necessary for these operations? I wouldn't want to use things like teatimer for the short time I am using the computer.

Off the top of my head I would think that teatimer.exe, blindman.exe, the uninstall files and the extra languages can ll be removed. Anybody have any other files that aren't necessary? Thanks for the help

Hello,

You can only scan with an USB drive if you have Spybot Search and Destroy installed on it.

The TeaTimer.exe and the languages files can be deleted if you do not want to use them.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

blindman.exe should not be deleted. See:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the reply. What I have done is copy all the install files from my hard drive to my USB drive. The programs seems to run fine from there. I am interested in what files can be removed to cut the size down and still allow me to run the scaning engine.

This is what I have removed so far:

All non-English license, help, and language files - This doesn't save much space, but it's better than nothing.

All files in the Updates folder except 'downloaded.ini' - It appears that Spybot retains the zipped update files even after applying those updates.

TeaTimer.exe

SDHelper.dll - Used by Resident SDHelper (aka Resident IE), as part of a permanent installation of Spybot.

Blindman.exe - Used by permanent installations of Spybot to speed up the boot process when startups are disabled by Spybot.

Startup.tnfo - Provides additional info on startup programs. (you can also find it at sysinfo.org).

Remove .sbe files and since when your'e changing computers the files don't stay the same they are useless

English.resident.chm as this appears to be related with Tea Timer

Remove all skins

Anything else? Is there a list of the specific uses for each file anywhere?

Esteemed Member

In the main folder keep:

• SpybotSD.exe (Keep Blindman.exe if you want System Startup control in Tools)
    • All DLL files except Zipdll.dll and Unzdll.dll (for updating only, may complain at startup)
      Note: Tools.dll and aports.dll only required if you want the Tools Menu to work
    • Default configuration.ini (Set your startup preferences, first use on a PC only)
    • messages.zres (Not sure this is needed, test without)

All that should be required in other folders is the English language .SBL file, the SBI and possibly SBS (I forget the purpose of these, so test) in Includes.

This is undocumented and unsupported, but was meant to work. You're already close to this, but the supported method is to include all files on either a CD or USB flash in your case.

Default Thanks for the help

BitMan

Thanks for the help. I realize this isn't the "supported" way but I don't have much room to spare on the drive. Thanks again.