Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spybot install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default spybot install

I just downloaded Spybot 1.6 and tried to install and got a message that server name or address could not be resolved. The download was from spybot site.

Prior to this I installed zone alarm and spywareblaster and all went well.

How can I fix this or could it be just the mirror where it was downloaded from?

Help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

If I'm correct this problem occurs when you're attempting to download the updates immediately. I would suggest you untick the "check for updates immediately" option, to resolve this error and avoid any other potential problems with the installation. Tell me how it goes.

Default spybot install

Thanks drragostea for a prompt reply.

Thanks, the install worked but have another problem....

Can't update - an error retrieving update info file! comes up when I check for updates.

I am using zone alarm pro 5.5.094 firewall (could it be something here?)
    If so, could you please tell me how to fix this?

Thanks.

Zone Alarm pro 5.5.094 is older,I believe,so I'm a little iffy on instructions,I can't find much anywhere.But,maybe you're getting the update error,if the Spybot Updater isn't configured in your firewall to be allowed access.

Try rightclicking the Zone Alarm icon in the notifcation area,over by the clock.Select Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center.Click Program Control.Click Programs.Look for Updater for Spybot S&D or similar,or sdupdate.exe,perhaps.If Updater for Spybot S&D or similar is listed there,please post back,and let me know if you see two checkmarks in the access column,or if it is an X or a question mark.

Smile

Cimarron,

As Zenobia has said, Zone Alarm 5.5.094 is an old version, and if you were using XP would I believe be subject to the same interaction with MS update KB951748 that caused widespread loss of internet functionality recently.

I'm not suggesting that is your current problem because you are obviously still able to get online to post here, so please to continue to work with Zenobia to rectify that, however at some stage you should then consider updating your Zone Alarm. The Zone Alarm version that was released to overcome the KB951748 problem was 7.0.483.000.

Default spybot install

HI: In zone alarm, spybot updater has a green check mark under Access for both trusted and internet.

Could it be my connection settings? Use proxy server is unchecked

Strangely, spywareblaster and clamwin AV will not update either (just installed also). Also zone alarm icon in system tray periodically gets a little blinking thing on the right side of ZA icon. Is it my machine or????

Would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

Windows ME

I don't think update KB951748 affected Windows ME as it is a 'legacy' OS and is not supported anymore. I found a thread in C NET forums which talked which firewall to use for Windows ME (thread in 2006), however, I found it to be no relevance because it talked about ZoneAlarm v.4.

Do the updater(s) in SpywareBlaster and ClamAV give any error message? Or does it just hang still? The latest version of SpywareBlaster (4.1) works for Windows ME. Also, ClamAV 0.93 is available for Windows ME if you didn't know that. When some programs install (take Spybot-SD, ClamAV, and SpywareBlaster) they do not need to access the Internet immediately, unless it is like a registration.

Can you elaborate more on the "blinking" issue?

Default First off....

update zonealarm by doing the following: right click the za icon next to your clock. click restore control center. Under preferences tab, click check for update. Wait a bit and follow the prompts, and download the latest version for your operating system. Once that is done, you will have the latest version for your operating system. Then download any microsoft updates that are available.

by the way drragostea, you are correct.

Windows me is no longer supported by Zone labs who makes zonealarm. Therefor, this is why you are using an older version correct? I would believe so. I think you are fine as you at least have a firewall, and i do not recommend comodo as it can be a headache for the beginner user. Basically an older version of zonealarm is ok, I have some windows 98 machines that are no longer supported that are running za older versions. As long as you pratice safe surfing you should be fine. However, if you want another firewall for better protection, take a look around at other firewall products. Your choice.

In any rate, that is not a problem. Follow these steps: in ZA control center, click program control. Under program control drag the slider and choose low. Then try to update spybot and all the other programs that are giving you issues with updating. Once they update, bring the slider back to medium. (You can't choose high if you do not have za pro, medium in fine for za free.)

That operation forces Zonealarm to "learn" your programs that are connecting to the internet, and will not block them again. It will let them pass. If you get any dialogs asking a program to access the internet, if you know the program is safe, then choose remember and allow.

(Also: the little "blinking thing" is za telling you about traffic that is going in or out of your computer. The icon flashes or blinks every now and then letting you know that traffic is going through. Such as programs accessing the internet, etc.)

Does that help? Let me know if you have further questions.

I'm a za user
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-08-02 at 22:03.

129260:
    Afraid it is not a case of will I get infected despite all my security programs, but how soon.
    I see now. ZA 7 offers the 'rising and sinking' bar .

In the meanwhile,until the connection problems are resolved,you can download the detection updates for Spybot manually,since you will need them:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
    Detection updates 2008-07-30 - product description
    md5: 65C6FBFDE9EF6D25CD8084F62837FE90
    This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.