Thread: Spybot not loading, but refuses to close (!?)

Unhappy Spybot not loading, but refuses to close (!?)

I began experiencing this with v1.5 and it continues with v1.6. I'm running XP SP3, fully updated on a 2GHz Intel CoreDuo with 1GB RAM. I have done the uninstall/reboot/reinstall dance several times.

When I try to start SpybotSD, I get an hourglass cursor for a few seconds, as if SpybotSD is loading, but then he cursor disappears and nothing else happens. However, the Task Manager's [Processes] tab shows SpybotSD.exe running, but the [Applications] tab is blank.

I can use the computer normally after this if I choose -- in other words, it's if SpybotSD has simply failed to load but nothing has happened.

But when I try to restart or shut down the system -- regardless of whether I try to shut it down immediately after trying to run SpybotSD or if I spend some time running other applications -- I always get the message that SpybotSD refuses to close. If I wait, it simply hangs there. If I choose to end the program manually, my system hangs and refuses to shut down. At this point, Task Manager won't even load. My only option is to force a shutdown by holding down the power button.

I've used SpybotSD for years and never experienced this problem. I suspect a conflict somewhere but am clueless where to begin solving this issue. Any help would be most appreciated.

Default Same error as EIGHT !! F. years ago and it's STILL HERE!

Don't you love it when you have crapware problems, like "Yahoo!" or Microsoft, and you google it to find numerous entries from half a decade or more, and the crapware manuf's are so customer contemptuous that they do NOT fix the glitches. It's "F YOU, LOSER" as far as they're concerned.

I have SpyBot's window open now. I cannot make it scan, nor can I close the F. thing. I guess I'll have to re-start my F. computer to get rid of this S.

Unreal, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by papagresh View Post
    I began experiencing this with v1.5 and it continues with v1.6. I'm running XP SP3, fully updated on a 2GHz Intel CoreDuo with 1GB RAM. I have done the uninstall/reboot/reinstall dance several times.

When I try to start SpybotSD, I get an hourglass cursor for a few seconds, as if SpybotSD is loading, but then he cursor disappears and nothing else happens. However, the Task Manager's [Processes] tab shows SpybotSD.exe running, but the [Applications] tab is blank.

I can use the computer normally after this if I choose -- in other words, it's if SpybotSD has simply failed to load but nothing has happened.

But when I try to restart or shut down the system -- regardless of whether I try to shut it down immediately after trying to run SpybotSD or if I spend some time running other applications -- I always get the message that SpybotSD refuses to close. If I wait, it simply hangs there. If I choose to end the program manually, my system hangs and refuses to shut down. At this point, Task Manager won't even load. My only option is to force a shutdown by holding down the power button.

I've used SpybotSD for years and never experienced this problem. I suspect a conflict somewhere but am clueless where to begin solving this issue. Any help would be most appreciated.

Hello flagday1960,

The issue may appear to be the same but 7 years on with changing software and operating systems perhaps not.

Please list:

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016