Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 900 WEB ACCESS charge

Default 900 WEB ACCESS charge

I recently got a bill from my phone company with an additional charge from MCI for a 900 WEB ACCESS charge. The time of this charge was right around when I was infected by a "nasty" virus. Can you give any suggestions how to protect yourself from this type of unauthorized charge on the internet?

Much appreciated,
    Apadana

what about a-squared Anti-Dialer if it was a dialer you had? i have not tried it. but maybe it was not a dialer you had.

It's likely that it is a dialer. Apadana, I'm assuming you are using a dial-up connection. Spybot-SD detects dialers, so run a scan with the program. Also, run the tool suggested by blues in Post #2.

Default Squared Anti-Dialer

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    what about a-squared Anti-Dialer if it was a dialer you had? i have not tried it. but maybe it was not a dialer you had.
    Hi Blues,
    Please, forgive me but I am really computer challenged. I mainly have used my computer as a word processor. What is a Anti-Dialer?

Also, maybe you can explain this to me: When I went to the Registry Key I found in Windows NT/Current Version- MCI/MCI Extensions/MCI 32. Is this MCI the phone company? If so why would it be in my registry?

Thank you for your time and help!
    Apadana

here is a description of dialers: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec041212/

anti-dialer means a program that detects and deletes dialers i think, but i have never used them.

some antispywares and antiviruses detects and deletes dialers.

i dont have the knowledge to say anything about the registry key you have.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    here is a description of dialers: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec041212/

anti-dialer means a program that detects and deletes dialers i think, but i have never used them.

some antispywares and antiviruses detects and deletes dialers.

i dont have the knowledge to say anything about the registry key you have.
    Dear Blues,
    I checked my antispyware program and it has a dialer feature. Thank you!!!

Apadana

no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Apadana View Post
    I recently got a bill from my phone company with an additional charge from MCI for a 900 WEB ACCESS charge.
    900 Numbers: FTC Rule Helps Consumers
    Quote Originally Posted by Apadana View Post
    Also, maybe you can explain this to me: When I went to the Registry Key I found in Windows NT/Current Version- MCI/MCI Extensions/MCI 32. Is this MCI the phone company?
    http://www.who.is/domain_information-com/mci.com/
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Hi Tashi,

When I got my bill from AT&T last week I went on Google to find out what a 900 WEB ACCESS (carrier MCI) was about. I found that FTC website and filed a complaint. They emailed me back and said they didn't regulate the internet and suggested filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (affiliated with FBI); I also filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

The AT&T representative encouraged me to file a complaint otherwise the proper authorities won't be alerted by the consumers.

I went on that MCI site but I couldn't find Microsoft being on their domain. Maybe MCI/MCI Extensions/MCI32 is something unrelated to MCI the phone company?

Thank you!
    Apadana
    Last edited by Apadana; 2008-07-30 at 20:58.

Just wanted to add that Spybot-SD's Resident Shield (TeaTimer) will terminate dialers (that is why there is a "blacklist" when you hover the mouse over the TeaTimer icon in the Taskbar). Because dialer programs are time critical TeaTimer will terminate them the second it is executed.

tashi, I just wanted to make sure... dialer programs do not affect DSL connections (high-speed; permanently connected) do they?