Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Immunization

Angry SpyBot Download

Dear Greyfox: I COMPLETELY removed SpyBot & it's residue...I tried to download the new file , but it timed out on me... ....I'm also having a severely slow data transfer rate , about 3/5 kbps....I just tried to download Java from it's legal website...Would NOT do it...Something about applets or whatever.... I am a newbie & what was fun has now turned to frustration...If I don't get a reply from here within a couple of days , I'll try a computer tech site to fix this 1st & return to work on the SB problem....I MUST have SB ...MANY thanks to ALL who replied...RON

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Hi, xZippy. Do you happen to have more than one account on the current computer?

I took a look at the thread, and the screenshot from xZippy's last post reminded me of when I was using the AlterEgo tool by SaferNetworking.

I'm not sure why there is more than one profile of it (Firefox), and what is more confusing is why is it not immunizing.
    I assume I have one profile on Firefox. I am the only user on the computer, there are no others. I don't know how to access profile info on Firefox 3.

Quote Originally Posted by xZippy View Post
    I assume I have one profile on Firefox. I am the only user on the computer, there are no others. I don't know how to access profile info on Firefox 3.
    No, you do appear to have two profiles, and it's the same in the first screen shot you provided early in the thread and the last. Maybe you updated from Firefox 2 to Firefox 3 without un-immunising first.

Firefox 3 uses a file named permissions.sqlite
    Firefox 2 used a file named hostperm.1

If you have both then it would support the above theory, and my suggestion, providing you currently have Firefox 3 installed, and not Firefox 2 would be to delete hostperm.1

If you do find both, then it also suggests you didn't fully remove one before you installed the other. Un-installing doesn't always remove everything. It's always wise to check for left over folders, preference and configuration files etc.

I can't find either files in the Mozilla Firefox folder.

Quote Originally Posted by xZippy View Post
    Alright, I followed the uninstall guide, and reinstalled it the way Greyfox said, and my problem hasn't gone away. The number went from 27035 to 27131...

Here: http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/1759/spybotstl7.png
    I am having the exact same problem as xZippy with precisely the same outcome in the image linked in the quote above.

I am on Windows XP pro SP3, Firefox 3, no other programs but Windows firewall, AVG Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware... though I got the same issue with AVG and Ad-Aware uninstalled.

I am also the only user on this computer.

And, I am sure I updated from Firefox 2 to Firefox 3 without un-immunizing first. I also don't see "hostperm.1" anywhere, for deletion (I looked manually as well as using Windows Search for the file).
    Last edited by ennui; 2008-08-08 at 04:08.

To those still following this thread.

The location to look for hostperm.1 or permissions.sqlite is
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\?????\

If you have multiple user accounts you will need to check the above for each account (username in the above path)

If you are running Firefox 2 you must have hostperm.1 and NOT permissions.sqlite.

If you are running Firefox 3 you must have permissions.sqlite and NOT hostperm.1

Spybot 1.6 will look for hostperm.1 and if it finds it will assume you are running FF2. If you are actually running FF3 the immunisations won't work.

If it doesn't find hostperm.1, it will assume you are running FF3. If you are runnning FF2 the immunisations won't work.

Hoping this helps.

I found the appropriate file (in my case, hostperm.1) in the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ax3fijd2.default" but I had to navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\username" and type in "\Application Data" manually in order to get there.

None the less, I deleted the file and Immunized. Problem persists.
    I pressed Undo immunization and Immunized again. Problem persists.
    I uninstalled Spybot-S&D and rebooted and reinstalled and, thru the process of program startup, Immunized. Problem persists.

Thank you Greyfox for taking the time to help us with this problem.

Oddly enough, I updated Firefox 3 and Spybot-S&D the exact same on my girlfriend's computer as I do mine and she didn't experience any Immunization problems. O_o;
    Last edited by ennui; 2008-08-08 at 23:34. Reason: Added Post Script

Quote Originally Posted by ennui View Post
    I found the appropriate file (in my case, hostperm.1) in the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ax3fijd2.default" but I had to navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\username" and type in "\Application Data" manually in order to get there.

None the less, I deleted the file and Immunized. Problem persists.
    I pressed Undo immunization and Immunized again. Problem persists.
    I uninstalled Spybot-S&D and rebooted and reinstalled and, thru the process of program startup, Immunized. Problem persists.
    Same here.

Red face SpyBotDownload

Dear Greyfox & drragostea etc...I'm baaack...I have IMPROVED my data transfer rate...Now I can NOT fully download SpyBot !!! It STOPS at 9.98mb , freezes , then times out , TWICE !!! I NEED this file , even if it's just for the search & destroy part....There just HAS to be a there...Maybe we can get it somewhere else ?? If anyone has any ideas or tips , I WOULD really appreciate it... Thanks in advance....

Smile

ennui,

OK, you found hostperm.1 which is the FF2 file and deleted it.
    I assume that permissions.sqlite wasn't there.

You then did an immunise that still didn't work. If you now check in the same place is permissions.sqlite now there and if so what size is it?

I have one computer with FF2 on it, I don't have FF3. If I delete hostperm.1 and then run Spybot 1.6 and try to immunise it doesn't work of course because it thinks I have FF3, but it does put permissions.sqlite there.

Maybe try deleting permissions.sqlite if it is there, then try running FF3 before you open Spybot and try to immunise.

I am concerned about your statement that you couldn't navigate to the folder in question. Were you doing this using Explorer or from a command prompt.

Xzippy - are you able to fully navigate to the folder we are talking about.