Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evil Virtumonde! I'm freaking out!

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

What should I do with dss.exe? And can I keep ATF-cleaner?
    Delete dss.exe file. Yes, you may keep ATF Cleaner.

* When I start my computer, before it goes to the XP loading screen, a black screen comes up and asks me if I want to start the computer as *Windows Media Center Edition* or *Windows System Restore*. It only gives me about 2 seconds to choose, so I just let it startup automatically as *Windows Media Center Edition*. How can I prevent this screen from appearing?
    That's because of installing recovery console. I don't personally recommend disabling that. If something goes badly wrong with your system then recovery console may help.

When I ctrl+alt+del and open up Task Manager, it doesn't show ANY of the User Names for any of the processes except for one. Only System Idle Processes show SYSTEM as the User Name, and all the rest are blank. I know that it used to show Brenda Leigh for the ones that I was running and other User Names for processes that the computer was running, but I don't know what's wrong with it now.
    Try following:
    Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
    * Locate Terminal Services and double-click it
    * Set the Startup type to Automatic, and click Apply
    * Click the Start button to launch the service manually.
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.

Everything is absolutely perfect now.

Thank you so much Blade, I'm definitely going to donate some money to Spybot due to the amazing one-on-one help that you gave me.

I'll be sure to come back if there are any other problems!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Security Expert: Emeritus Blade81's Avatar

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

Note:If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.
    Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2020
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2008-2015
    UNITE member since 2006

If you have problems create a thread in the forum, please.

Malware removal instructions are for the correspondent user's case only.