Thread: Got a trojan but SBS&D didn't find it

Default Got a trojan but SBS&D didn't find it

I've got the new SBS&D and the old Hijack this installed as well as AVG free and an old install of Norton with the internet protection.

Nobody found it at all. I found it in the Norton Internet logs.

Backdoor-g-1(1243) I know it's a trojan, but something funny is going on with it. Each time it has shown up, so does www.i.i.com.com and I list it as a restricted site with Norton and it goes away for awhile and then it will show up again. I posted another for restricted with Norton and it goes away for awhile.

Problem is, I think www.i.i.com.com is changing their IP addy and this sucker is communicating with it.

It freezes up my window so that I can't back out, shut it down or anything else. The only way to get out of it is to disconnect my computer from the phone line.

So, I know it will probably show up again, but I search for it all over my puter and it doesn't show up.

I tried running SBS&D in safemode and I got all kinds of different error messages. I tried running AVG in safemode and it gave me two different error messages about partitions and boot something or other. Now they both run fine in regular mode they just won't run in safemode.

So, is this something new or something just not being picked up by the software?

Steph
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-08-06 at 15:16. Reason: disabled link

Hello breezynosacek,

According to Google, Norton has been known to give false positives on Backdoor-g-1.

The url you gave appears to be associated with CNET.

The only way to find out if there is any reason for concern is for someone to look at a log, (an up to date one) in the Malware Removal Forum

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Quote Originally Posted by breezynosacek View Post
    ..and the old Hijack this installed as well as AVG free and an old install of Norton with the internet protection.
    Rule of thumb is one Firewall/AV to avoid conflicts and loss of program efficiency.

Not sure what you mean by 'an old install of Norton', but an older version was usually the one that produced the F/Ps.

Regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-08-06 at 15:58. Reason: added info
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I've got Windows 98 and had Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed and I kept it up to date until we just couldn't afford it anymore. My hubby had congestive heart failure and is now fighting cancer. Our resources are being eaten up by doctor's visits. Did I tell you how greatful I am for SBS&D???

I downloaded and installed the New Hijack This. Nothing new to report there.

The thing that concerns me most is that the last time I had a backdoor like this was years ago and I had to get a new hard drive, a new cd player and floppy drive. It infected everything. And at the time, most of the sites were saying that the backdoor thingy was part of windows.

I wasn't downloading software or files or anything when this thing shows up.

I'm afraid to uninstall the Norton because it has a quarantined virus on it that it couldn't remove. VBS.Redlof.B and I'm afraid that if I uninstall Norton it'll get loose! LOL

Thanks,

Steph

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello breezynosacek,

According to Google, Norton has been known to give false positives on Backdoor-g-1.

The url you gave appears to be associated with CNET.

The only way to find out if there is any reason for concern is for someone to look at a log, (an up to date one) in the Malware Removal Forum

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Rule of thumb is one Firewall/AV to avoid conflicts and loss of program efficiency.

Not sure what you mean by 'an old install of Norton', but an older version was usually the one that produced the F/Ps.

Regards.

When the file is in quarantine, it is removed to the anti-virus programs "jail". The file (infected) can no longer do any damage. However, I'm not sure if the file will replicate/reproduce if you remove it from the quarantine. Remember, deleting the quarantine file is not restoring it. Restoring it will be undoing the removal.

The HiJack This tool is not a anti-malware/spyware tool, as it is a diagnostic tool and provides information about your system such as the running processes and services installed. This gives your assistant (Malware Fighter) sufficient information to diagnose the problem.

Spybot-Seatch&Destroy scans for common places on the system that malware "anchor" themselves to. It scans for malware, spyware, dialers, trojans, worms, and some rookits. Spybot-SD (in my perspective) does not operate like other anti-spyware programs; take SpywareDoctor for example (it uses a 'fingerprint' matching tactic and has a vast database). Spybot scans for specific entries, so don't expect the application to find 'every' trojan/malware.

Quote Originally Posted by breezynosacek View Post
    I've got Windows 98 and had Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security installed and I kept it up to date until we just couldn't afford it anymore. My hubby had congestive heart failure and is now fighting cancer. Our resources are being eaten up by doctor's visits. Did I tell you how greatful I am for SBS&D???

I downloaded and installed the New Hijack This. Nothing new to report there.
    Hi Steph.

I understand, caught between a rock and a hard place.

As Windows 98 is an unsupported Operating System, it is open to vulnerabilities because it cannot be updated or patched.
    End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me

Norton, long thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7683

There are good free anti virus programs. You mentioned AVG, is it running resident with Norton?

Another free AV that supports WIN 98, Avast! http://www.avast.com/eng/system-requ...vast-home.html
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016