Thread: Version 1.6.0.31

Default Version 1.6.0.31

I'm relatively new to Spybot S&D and to this forum. Each Wednesday I manually update the Spybot signatures on my system. This afternoon when doing so, version 1.6.0.31 was automatically downloaded onto my system and I went ahead and installed it over the previous version.

I know I'm about to ask a common question...but I didn't see it mentioned in a brief search I did in this forum. Please excuse if I've overlooked it somewhere. My question is: Would it have been better for me to completely uninstall the previous Spybot S&D version and then do a fresh install of version 1.6.0.31? The information in the following link seems to suggest doing just that...but I couldn't tell for sure. http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html I like keeping my system running smoothly and it's my understanding sometimes doing a complete uninstall...then fresh install is preferable to installing an update on top of the existing program.

Please advise. Much thanks in advance.
    Last edited by d&ss1; 2008-08-07 at 04:50.

Hello,

It is also ok if you install over your old version.
    There were only little problems with very old versions and beta versions.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

It is also ok if you install over your old version.
    There were only little problems with very old versions and beta versions.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Thank you, Sandra. If I may, I have two follow-up questions:
    1. Is there a setting I can change that will stop Spybot from automatically updating to a new program version when it becomes available?
    2. Is there any manual "clean-up work" that I should perform in the aftermath of the automatic program update to version 1.6.0.31 that occured on my system? For example, any folders that should be deleted in Windows Explorer? Or is this program update fairly clean and I should leave well-enough alone?

Forgive me asking a question in this thread, but I downloaded the updates yesterday and my Spybot version is still showing 1.6.0.30.

Have I missed something or is it being phased in gradually on the servers?

I have rechecked today and no new updates are showing for download.

Default HELP, system is SLOW after upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by d&ss1 View Post
    I'm relatively new to Spybot S&D and to this forum. Each Wednesday I manually update the Spybot signatures on my system. This afternoon when doing so, version 1.6.0.31 was automatically downloaded onto my system and I went ahead and installed it over the previous version.

I know I'm about to ask a common question...but I didn't see it mentioned in a brief search I did in this forum. Please excuse if I've overlooked it somewhere. My question is: Would it have been better for me to completely uninstall the previous Spybot S&D version and then do a fresh install of version 1.6.0.31? The information in the following link seems to suggest doing just that...but I couldn't tell for sure. http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html I like keeping my system running smoothly and it's my understanding sometimes doing a complete uninstall...then fresh install is preferable to installing an update on top of the existing program.

Please advise. Much thanks in advance.
    I did the same automatic upgrade to 1.6.0.31 lastnight and now my system is so slow it's unusable (it's my work PC), so now I'm in a panic.

1) What can I do to get the original speed back? Are there adjustments or tweaks I can do to stop the slowdown?

2) Or should I uninstall 1.6 and reinstall 1.5? Would this be the safest choice?

3) Should I have uninstalled 1.5 before I installed 1.6? (The automatic process did not present this choice)

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie 58 View Post
    Forgive me asking a question in this thread, but I downloaded the updates yesterday and my Spybot version is still showing 1.6.0.30.

Have I missed something or is it being phased in gradually on the servers?

I have rechecked today and no new updates are showing for download.
    I am wondering about the same thing as Debbie_58
    • how can 1.6.0.30 be upgraded to 1.6.0.31?
    • what's the differenbe between 1.6.0.30 and 1.6.0.31?

We are seeing a similar version number difference with the Teatimer (aka SD Resident module) - which I have described in this post http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...46&postcount=7.
    If the same logic holds with the main Spybot program then the following may be true:

1.6.0.30 is displayed if you installed Spybot v1.6 manually from the installer exe file.
    1.6.0.31 is displayed if you installed Spybot v1.6 automatically via the updater.

This may be so the developers can tell how the program was installed in case of any problems.
    Can a Team Spybot member confirm this?