Thread: How to suppress the "scan process" baloon?

Default How to suppress the "scan process" baloon?

Yesterday, I downloaded Spybot-S&D, version 1.6.0.31. The Spybot-S&D Resident program is being activated with startup and is displayed in the corresponding tray. However, this program keeps posting a baloon displaying the processes that it scans and does so for a long time. The baloon hides a very important part of my display and is unacceptable. I can not find a way to get rid of it without exiting the resident program.

Would someone suggest a cure? Thanks in advance.

P.S. An other strange thing is that although the version of S&D I run is 1.6.0.31 the resident program shows 1.6.0.30 as its version.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

costis:

Quote Originally Posted by costis View Post
    ... However, this program keeps posting a baloon displaying the processes that it scans ... Would someone suggest a cure? ...
    Right click on TeaTimer's icon (see note #1) which should be present in the taskbar notification area (system tray) and uncheck "Show info balloons" by clicking on it.

Note #1: Actually "TeaTimer's icon" is titled "Spybot-SD Resident" and looks like a window with a padlock in the lower left hand corner.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the answer.

However, I have already done this and it didn't work. The "show info balloons" is unchecked and info balloons are still displayed. I also restarted my computer just in case, but that didn't work either!

Unhappy

Hello. I am running Vista Service Pack I. I just updated to the newest version of Spybot and I cannot figure out how to stop those anoying pop up balloons for process scanned. I cannot find an icon for tea timer and also could not find the tea timer in the regedit either. Can someone please tell me how to stop the pop ups. Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Right click on TeaTimer's icon (see note #1) which should be present in the taskbar notification area (system tray) and uncheck "Show info balloons" by clicking on it.
    I am also having this problem since updating to 1.6.1.22.
    I unchecked the "Show Info Balloons", and it did stop the balloon from giving info on each scanning process, but there still is a balloon that comes up saying
    "New processes have been scanned" and that balloon continuously is popping up every 1/2 second and is really annoying.

Also, like some others have mentioned it appears that CPU usage has increased with the update. None of these problems existed in my previous install of 1.5.x.x.

Please tell me how to get rid of this balloon thing, I would prefer something that just came up when there is a problem or a need for me to take action.

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitchaser View Post
    but there still is a balloon that comes up saying "New processes have been scanned" and that balloon continuously is popping up every 1/2 second and is really annoying.
    Update; a reboot solved the problem with the balloon; of interest this was on a 7 year old machine with XP, my newer machine, also with XP needed no reboot.

As for the extra CPU usage, I can live with it for the protection that comes with Spybot.

Thanks again.

The Baloon problem is uncurable on my computer. I have to conclude that it is a bug of Spybot Tea Timer, at least for my Operating System which is W2000. I will not exchange W2000 for any of the later Microsoft OSs, so goodbye Tea Timer.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

costis:

The problem you are having is not universal on all Windows 2000 systems. Bitman was able to disable the balloons. See this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    I've also experienced a great improvement in the operation of the 1.6.1.21 TeaTimer beta on my old WIndows 2000 Professional based PII 400 w/512MB RAM. … I did have to disable the balloons though, …
    And his recommendation:

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    Patrick,

On my old PII 400 w/Windows 2000 the beta Teatimer causes much less processor overhead during a normal startup as I'd mentioned in the other beta thread. However, when the balloons are enabled on that same PC, it takes several minutes to complete the startup display, even though there isn't really any significant processor usage after the first few seconds.

What I'm thinking is that you've fixed the real problem of several minutes high processor utilization, but created a new one for everyone by having the balloons enabled by default, especially due to the balloon timeout issue.

My suggestion is to disable the balloons by default, since it's really a troubleshooting tool anyway and not really useful for regular day-to-day usage. Another possibility might be to display only a "Teatimer Starting" followed by a "Teatimer Startup Completed" by default, since this would reduce the delay effects. How to switch between all three options would become the issue in this case.

Bitman

I suggest that you check the registry entry that controls the balloon display to see if you have access to that registry key and that it is set to dword = 00000000. The control for whether or not to "Show info balloons" is stored in the registry on an individual user basis as follows:
    • Don't show balloons:

Code:
      [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD\TeaTimer]
      "ShowInfoBalloons"=dword:00000000
    • Show balloons:

Code:
      [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD\TeaTimer]
      "ShowInfoBalloons"=dword:00000001

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.