Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I downgrade to Spybot 1.5?

Default How do I downgrade to Spybot 1.5?

Hello, How do I downgrade back to Spybot 1.5? Specifically to Spybot 1.5.2, the last known version which was working perfectly awesome for me. Last night when I did an update, by checking for Updates using the Spybot tray icon..it upgraded me to Spybot 1.6. And simply speaking, my browsing using IE has become horribly slow. Every page I try to open takes a while to open, and my laptop goes into a frenzy..with the processor going overboard and the fans kicking in. Even opening the simple Google Home page causes the laptop to go all haywire. Never happened like that with the previous version of SPybot. I was much happy with the older version. Please, any help would be appreciated.
    I just want to downgrade back to Spybot 1.5.2. Thanks.

P.S. I just read some threads and comments and advices about disabling the SDHelper in IE which makes the slow browsing problems go away. But that soluton essentially leaves my pc vulnerable to attacks, because the Resident Helper in IE gets disabled. I'd rather downgrade to Spybot 1.5.2, and have protection, than keeping Spybot 1.6 and disabling the main component which helps protect me while I surf and browse the net.
    I just need to find out a way to downgrade back to Spybot 1.5.2. Thanks in advance for any help provided. : )
    Last edited by 6ixed; 2008-08-08 at 19:30.

Default How to decide if Spybot is necessary?

hello everyone,
    I am just a newbie here and could not find how to make a post in any other way. I am curious about how to decide if I need spybot and/or regedit? I think I tried a registry check type thing that was free and it says I do have alot of registry issues to clean up. Is this the solution for cleaning things up without a full re-install or not?

BTW---I have Windows XP Pro, my motherboard is about 2 yrs old, and new Seta 250gb drive at that time.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-10-11 at 02:02. Reason: Removed signature

sam999

Registry Cleaners, not recommended: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038

i would not have been without an antispyware these days if i were you, so you can just install spybot if you want.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-08 at 20:03.

Default 1.6 Crash

Windows XP Pro on desktop with all kinds of available resources. Last night Spybot update wanted to install 1.6 so I let it. During install it crashed. Thereafter I uninstalled using the application on the Start>program.Spybot menu. I tried to reinstall but it found a folder already existed. I then used control panel to uninstall. Afterwards I had two icons left on the desktop - -one for Spybot 152.exe and one for 160.exe. I then reinstalled 1.6 and restarted computer. Windows desktop would open and then freeze. Had to go to Safe Mode and uninstall Spybot with Control Panel. Cannot get Spybot to load and run. Am using Norton Systemworks for Virus protection.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

6ixed:

I would rather try to help you iron out the problems that you are having with Spybot 1.6, but answer your query:

Quote Originally Posted by 6ixed View Post
    … I just need to find out a way to downgrade back to Spybot 1.5.2. Thanks in advance for any help provided. : )
    There is a download for the installation file for Spybot 1.5.2 (spybotsd152.exe) still available on Spybot's sites. One of those URLs is:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    6ixed:

I would rather try to help you iron out the problems that you are having with Spybot 1.6, but answer your query:

There is a download for the installation file for Spybot 1.5.2 (spybotsd152.exe) still available on Spybot's sites. One of those URLs is:
    md usa spybot fan
    Spybot Advisor Team

Thanks for the link. And Thanks for the offer to help me out with easing out the problems with Spybot 1.6. I'd actually prefer try attempting that instead of downright downgrading to the previous stable version. And I will too, soon, but currently my time restraints won't really permit me. So I'd hold off doing that next week or so, when I've the time to go around doing it. In the meantime, I'd prefer to downgrade to Spybot 1.5.2, so I have atleast Spyware protection when I surf.

What additional information and help I'd kindly request from you is: How do I do the actual downgrade? Actually I still have the old Spybot 1.5.2.exe file sitting in one of my folders. Can I just double click on it and let the installation run its course, and it'd remove Spybot 1.6, and revert back to Spybot 1.5.2? Are there any additional steps required, like uninstalling Spybot 1.6, before I run the installation of Spybot 1.5.2? I prefer not to Uninstall, because there are System Startup settings I have modified using Spybot 1.5.2, and I am sure which has been integrated to Spybot 1.6 .... and I'm wondering, if I uninstall Spybot 1.6 to do an install of Spybot 1.5.2 .. I'd lose those informations and settings. Is there a safe way to save all those settings so far I've modified and initiated using Spybot 1.5.2, before totally uninstalling Spybot 1.6 to re-install Spybot 1.5.2? Or if I just install Spybot 1.5.2 on top of the current installation of Spybot 1.6, that will just do it?

I'd really appreciate any help, recommendations, suggestions and advices you can provide me on this. Thanks for everything in advance, and Oh Yeah! Spybot Rocks!

To other posters in this thread besides 6ixed:

sam999:

You seemed to have hijacked 6ixed's thread with your post:

Quote Originally Posted by sam999 View Post
    How to decide if Spybot is necessary?
    Blues:

You responded to sam999's query apparently without even giving thought to the fact that 6ixed started the thread with a specific query that remained unanswered.

Curtdrew:

Please start you own thread by accessing the Spybot-S&D forum and click on New Thread.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

6ixed:

I suggest that you uninstall Spybot (1.6) before reinstalling another version of Spybot (1.5.2). Your concern about "... I'd lose those informations and settings ..." are not normally affected by a Add/Remove Programs uninstall if the settings are in the .ini configuration files or other files that affect configuration or options within Spybot..

@md usa spybot fan:
    Spybot Advisor Team

Thanks a ton for all your help. I'll try your suggestion out, and see what happens. Yeah I was worried about the settings and configurations. Hopefully everything works out. Thanks again, 6ixed.