Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I downgrade to Spybot 1.5?

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    6ixed:

I suggest that you uninstall Spybot (1.6) before reinstalling another version of Spybot (1.5.2). Your concern about "... I'd lose those informations and settings ..." are not normally affected by a Add/Remove Programs uninstall if the settings are in the .ini configuration files or other files that affect configuration or options within Spybot..
    md, I have a follow up to your answer to 6ixed; I'm in the same boat with him, having upgraded to 1.6 automatically from 1.5.2. My add/remove shows two instances of spybot, Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20 (19mb) and Spybot - Search and Destroy [no version numbers] (63mb).

1. Do i uninstall the bigger one? Is this v 1.6?
    2. After I uninstall v1.6, will I have 1.5.2.20 back as it existed before the automatic upgrage to 1.6?
    3. How do I keep getting normal file updates for v 1.5.2.20? Won't it try to do the automatic upgrade to 1.6 again?

Thanks very much.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

MikeMcD:

Two Add/Remove Program entries:

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » Uninstall Info. Select the two entries one at a time and delete the entry where:
    1. The name of the entry does not contain a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".
      --- or ---
    2. The "uninstall cmd" does not point to the unins000.exe of where you installed the software.

If both entries have the GLID and point to the proper location, delete the one with the oldest "install date".

If you are not sure which entry to delete, right click on the listing and "Copy to clipboard". Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread editing out all entries except the two Spybot entries.

Use the remaining entry to uninstall Spybot 1.6.

When installing Spybot 1.5:

I suggest that you skip the updates during the installation and do them after the installation completes so that you will not download the Spybot 1.6 installation.
    • Execute the spybotsd152.exe installation program.
    • When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately".
    • After the installation completes go into Spybot » Update to download updates.
    • When you get the list of updates uncheck the following item so that it is not downloaded:
      • Main update 1.6.0 - !Main application update (284 KB) - Date=2008-08-06
    • Then right click on that item and select "Add to exclude list".
    • Download all other updates.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

md, still confused;

Following is the clipboard from SB uninstall list (which were not sequential in the listing, apparently not alphabetized, I had to hunt around):

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20 (Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1)
    install date: 20080206
    uninstall cmd: "C:\WINDOWS\unins000.exe"
    publisher: Safer Networking Ltd.
    help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.0 ({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-
    FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)
    install date: 20080807
    install location: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    uninstall cmd: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search &
    Destroy\unins001.exe"
    publisher: Safer Networking Limited
    help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?
    page=support

The second entry with the GLID you refer to, has the newest install date, instead of the oldest install date, and the first entry uninstall cmd does not point to where I installed the software, all of which seems to contradict what you said. My head is spinning. Which one do I delete?

After I delete the correct one, you say to use the remaining entry to uninstall SB 1.6; do you mean I can uninstall from within the spybot uninstall window? Or uninstall from windows add/remove?

Just to understand, am I removing one of these entries (1.52?) so that, after I uninstall 1.6, I can then install 1.5 like a new/fresh install, so I can preserve the ability to select installation options?

No pain, no gain.

Thanks again, MD!!!

I let Spybot 1.5.2 update to 1.6.0 through the updater and it went perfect. I did not get two entries in the add/remove programs or start menu and looking through my files I see only the one Spybot folder.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

MikeMcD:

Delete the first one because:

The name of the entry does not contain a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".
    and

The "uninstall cmd" does not point to the unins000.exe of where you installed the software.
    After you have deleted the entry in Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » Uninstall Info then go to Add/Remove Programs and use the remaining entry to uninstall Spybot.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.