Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Resident?) Pop-ups driving me insane!

Default (Resident?) Pop-ups driving me insane!

Yesterday I updated to SB - S&D 1.6.0. Since then there are constant Spybot pop-ups from the taskbar that include a popping sound. It is driving me to distraction. I am ready to uninstall Spybot. I had to turn off the sound. I tried right clicking on on the taskbar & unchecking "Show info balloons" to no avail.

Please help before I do something stupid! (Also please note my limited tech abilities!)

Thank you!

Lightbulb hmm.......

You unchecked the option and it still does it? have you tried exiting out of teatimer and forcing it to reload again? Also this version of teatimer is a beta, so you must have installed it knowing it is a beta. In the updater if you select beta updates, then you could download this test version of teatimer. I suggest going back to the other version of teatimer that came with spybot 1.6

Default Popping sounds sans pop-ups

Hi!

I also got the popping sound after installing the latest beta update (Version 1.6.0.30, System Settings Protector 1.6.1.22) albeit without pop-ups (Yes, show info balloons is selected). The only they to get rid of the sound is to shut down the Spybot S&D resident protection.

When I untick the "Show Info Balloons" it also turns off the sound-effects - so it shouldn't be necessary to disable SD Resident just to stop the popping sound. The first post in the thread implied this did not work - but as suggested it may have required a restart of SD Resident to apply the new setting and cancel the sound-effects.

I'm with K Martin on this, except I can't even find the "Show Info balloons " button! All I did was allow the thing to download its latest incarnation - I neither know nor care about it in any greater depth.
    I don't use sound very often so I have my speakers turned off most of the time, but PLEASE will some clever chap or chapess tell me what and where to click to stop these infernal balloons popping up all the time?

Exclamation System Notification POP

Version 1.6.0.31
    I too have this problem
    I have the System Notification wav file playing about every 15-30 seconds, with no ballons. I am unable to find the on\off check for the ballons.
    The Big Z Man!

Default Me too!

That info balloon pop-up is a nuisance! What does it do? I click on it and it doesn't display a thing nor provide options. Puzzling. Is it's purpose to show me that Spybot is running?

Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

edee_em:

People were complaining about the amount of CPU time TeaTimer was taking when it started. One of the proposed solutions was to add the display so that people would know that it just was not just in a loop and was scanning the processes running in the system. See:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I have gone back through the thread and have some additonal for all

I was prompted to install 1.60 during an update to 1.5.2, with out selecting betas. I got version 1.6.0.31 of spybot (Main Spyboot page=> Help\About)

For Teatimer
    Right Click on the system tray icon=> About Teatimer
    Spybot S&D 1.6.0.30
    System settings Protector 1.6.1.22

To get to the check for the "Show info Ballons" one must right click on the Resident icon in the system tray. This is not a Windows Task Bar function. I do not get ballons with it on or off.

Disabling Teattimer from within Spybot removes the pops.
    Tools\Resident=> uncheck Teatimer
    I closed spybot, rebooted, and renabled Teatimer.

I recieved a single pop on system startup, but think this was there before (though would like to know why??)

I recieved another single pop when I renabled Teatimer, but no subsequent popping.

However when I reboot again (teatimer is running) the "pop" problem returns. I have gone through this with pop-up on and off, and it seems to make no difference. I still get NO popups, and wondering if something else is supressing the popups.

I am unclear on the relationship between the feature "Resident Protection" in the system tray's icon right click menu, and that of the S&B Tools\Resident Menu check boxes. I expected the system tray icon to disable resident functionality in the Tools menu, but does not appear to do so (or anything??)

I have also read the previous posts link, but this is above me.

Windows XP SP2 with most additional Critical updates

I think I am going to "POP"
    The Big Z Man!

I just applied the update as well. No mention of Beta during the process.

I am getting CONSTANT popups/bubbles talking about which process it is scanning, and selecting the Show Info Balloons (or de-selecting it) has no effect.

Help!

Windows Vista completely up to date.