Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Resident?) Pop-ups driving me insane!

Update... after 10 minutes of constant messages that it was scanning active files, it just stopped.

Not a bother now, but a big bother while it was going on.
    J

Thanks for the reply spybot fan, and thanks for listening to the users, but there are many of us who prefer not to have the balloons. Don't know what the split would be but judging by some of the messages on the forum I would suggest most don't want it. Also, there are many processes running that don't have those info balloons to remind us that they are running.

To the others in the know, are teatimer and sd resident the same thing? I see sd resident in the taskbar with no mention of teatimer but I remember having the option of installing one, both or neither.

Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

edee_em:

Quote Originally Posted by edee_em View Post
    ... there are many of us who prefer not to have the balloons. ...
    I sure that is exactly why the facility to turn them off was added at the same time process scan balloons were added.

... To the others in the know, are teatimer and sd resident the same thing?...
    Using the term "sd resident" is somewhat ambiguous because there are actually two "resident" facilities associated with Spybot:
    • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker).
    • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

...but there are many of us who prefer not to have the balloons. Don't know what the split would be but judging by some of the messages on the forum I would suggest most don't want it.
    I disagree. As one who was doubtful about the balloons when first proposed back before the beta was released, I have to admit that I came to like the option. I don't have it on all the time, but it is quite handy to be able to see what new processes are actually commencing, and also it enables one to guage the effect of the registry patches to opt for speed at expense of memory, and vice versa on their particular platform.

It is almost always misleading to judge who likes a feature by posts in a forum. It is a fact of life (ask any polling company) that those who dislike something will always be the most vocal, and those who are happy with it generally don't bother to say so.

My own view is that the Teatimer we now have does well in meeting the goals identified in the beta discussion, and since the on/off control via the right click menu has worked as it was intended to for the majority of users, is a good compromise for all.

Greyfox:

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    ... I have to admit that I came to like the option. I don't have it on all the time, but it is quite handy to be able to see what new processes are actually commencing, ...
    I agree with you. I only find the balloons somewhat annoying on the first startup of TeaTimer after a Spybot update when the scan process is elongated because TeaTimer is rebuilding the ProcCache.sbc reference file that speeds up subsequent scans.

To overcome that problem, after an update I have started un-ticking "Show info balloons". I then do a "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident" and restart TeaTimer. After the initial scan is done, I tick "Show info balloons" again. Using that strategy I am not faced with a long period of constant balloons when I boot my system for the first time after an update.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Several friends who got upgraded to 1.6 over the weekend called me to complain about the new pop-up balloons.

I do not usually run Teatimer, so I didn't notice it myself. So I activated Teatimer on my system, and the pop-up balloons started. Then I found this thread, unchecked "Show info balloons", and the pop-ups immediately stopped.

I have passed the solution on to my friends.

quick question about the pop-up notifications...are they displayed for a set period of time? i ask because the notifications pop up and clicking on them does not cancel the balloon. after clicking a bunch of times they will eventually disappear. should mention v1.6 win2KSP4. thanks

Yffffonz:

On my system the balloons from TeaTimer disappear as soon as I click on them just like balloons from any process.

I'm having a problem that I think is only half Spybot's fault.

Whatever's gotten onto my system keeps trying to add the following two entries to my registry - I know this isn't the "fix my spyware" thread, but maybe someone will know what's what if I post it.

12/6/2008 5:09:27 PM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "jorimadihu" (new data: "Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\makezimu.dll",s") added in System Startup global entry!
    12/6/2008 5:09:27 PM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "CPMaf5c1bf1" (new data: "Rundll32.exe "c:\windows\system32\kevinoji.dll",a") added in System Startup global entry!

The problem is...it tries to add one of those two every. two. seconds. Despite unchecking the 'show pop-up balloons' option on Spybot's System Tray icon, they pop up every. two. seconds.

Whatever's causing it, I don't mind Spybot blocking the add every few seconds -- I'll get it cleaned off at some point (Spybot hasn't found it yet), or I'll figure out it's some program I actually -do- want running. But the pop-ups every two seconds are really nervewracking =\
    Ver. 1.6.0.30, System Settings Protector 1.6.1.22. Reading the thread hasn't shown what to do if turning the option off doesn't actually turn the feature off. Did I miss somethin'? =P

It seems you have ticked "Remember my Decision" so that is why it is saying "based on userblacklist". In normal situations where the user accidentally ticked "Remember my Decision" by accident, you can always undo it. And in your situation you can undo it too, but I would suggest you that keep it that way. I'm saying this because I'm suspecting that there might be a malware infection because you don't usually get prompts of "rundll32.exe" changing. And .dll (makezimu.dll) sounds to me like it was randomly generated (that's what malware do, generate random files).

Can you run a full Spybot scan in Safe Mode (boot by F8) and see what it detects.