Thread: auto upgrade to version 1.6?

Default auto upgrade to version 1.6?

This evening I ran the update for my Spybot S & D 1.5.2, and the last item on the list said something about 1.6. I removed the check from that one, since if figured it wouldn't work so well with 1.5.2. I thought at the time that that last item was, perhaps, just definition updates for 1.6.

I am getting the impression from a very quick perusal of this forum (I haven't been here in a while) that had I left the checkmark there, I would have been automatically upgraded to 1.6.

Umm...First of all...Is this correct? Is THAT how you're going to get people to upgrade?

In my opinion, this needs to be more open and concise than that. Not everyone wants to upgrade to 1.6, at least not right now, anyway.

I believe that the program update for Spybot-SD 1.6 was released to the integrated updater for Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20.

If you have Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.5.2.20 on your computer, then the Spybot 1.6 entry was definitely, not a "definition" update because the most recent version has not been installed on your computer yet.

What you can do is untick the program update entry (1.6) and ignore until you feel you want to upgrade. The choice is optional and if you choose to upgrade or not is up to you. The program update distributed via the integrated updater (goal) is to make less work for the user during the upgrade. That way, the user does not have to uninstall and disable this technical jumbo and that.

Default Internal upgrade from 1.5.2 to 1.6 not available

Hi all
    just registered and here it is my first post: I've been using 1.5.2 for a while, getting all the definitions update as soon as they are available, but not the upgrade to version 1.6 through the internal updater, simply because it does not appear!
    I wonder if I should keep trying to look for the version upgrade via the internal udate, or uninstall the old version and install the new one?
    BTW, is it possible/safe to install the version 1.6 over the 1.5.2?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Default keep waiting for help

Is there anybody able to clarify my doubts?
    Tkx in advance for any suggestions

Hello,

Usually the new version should have been downloaded when you have searched for updates.

But you can install in now manually (over the old version).
    You will find links to several download locations on our website.
    These mirrors are partners who provide places to host Spybot-S&D for us.
    You can download from one of them, it's secure and they all contain the same data:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Thanks

Thanks for your reply Sandra
    All the best

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Usually the new version should have been downloaded when you have searched for updates.

But you can install in now manually (over the old version).
    You will find links to several download locations on our website.
    These mirrors are partners who provide places to host Spybot-S&D for us.
    You can download from one of them, it's secure and they all contain the same data:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Yes, I have the earlier version of SBS&D. For some reason the upgrade didn't work. It did give a reason, but things happened kind of fast and I didn't think to write it down. But, given some of the problems (slowdowns) with a number of people with the new version, I was wondering if I should leave it as it is for the time being.

Have you attempted to upgrade to the latest version (1.6.0.30) and see if it "slows" down your computer? Many users have reported the problem and found out that it has to do with Spybot's SDHelper (IE Resident Shield) [some some handful of cookies in the Cookies folder].

However, fortunately, DougCuk has found a temporarily solution to this:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30943&page=6
    --