Thread: Spybot Does Not Immunize Flock 1.x

Default Spybot Does Not Immunize Flock 1.x

Hi there --

I use Flock 1.x as my preferred web browser, and normally Spybot 1.5.x did a good job of immunizing it. However, I recently downloaded version 1.6.0 of Spybot, and I noticed it did not immunize flock.

What do I need to do, short of using a different web browser, in order to correct this? Thanks.

Default possible gecko workaround

Hmm, not personally familiar with Flock, but most gecko-based browsers have a hostperm.1 file which is basically what is 'immunized' (FF3 and SeaMonkey v1.1.11 are newer types with a permissions.sqlite file .. /see/ this page for more detail) with a set of the most recent rules.

1) If SSD160 shows a set of checkboxes on the Immunization page for Flock, then it recognizes the Flock profile and /should/ be able to immunize - in rare cases (such as the hostperm.1 being empty as may happen with a browser upgrade or virgin install) you may need to 'populate' the hostperm.1 by making a site-specific cookie rule or denying a site access or any other type of rule that will make hostperm.1 other than an empty file. After that the immunization should work as expected.

2) If for some reason SSD160 does not recognize a gecko profile (in other words that the browser doesn't show on SSD's Immunization page), it still may be possible to *manually* immunize - I do this via a copy/paste of the hostperm.1 of an SSD-immunized gecko browser such as FF (*not* FF3, btw - see above) .. to the hostperm.1 locale of a non-recognized gecko browser such as K-Meleon (renaming or deleting the current hostperm.1 beforehand).

Granted the simple file-swap option 2) will work only if you have another similar gecko that's SSD-immunized on your system and it's only a workaround `til the Immunization process becomes more universally aware if ever - for almost all standard default installs it works well enough even though FF3 has put some new wrinkles in …