Thread: suggestion about spybot's upgrade procedure. :)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb suggestion about spybot's upgrade procedure. :)

I have noticed that many users have said they were automatically updated to version 1.6, and then they post wondering why they have 2 entries in add/remove programs. What i am wondering is, is it possible that in the future, when program updates are released through the spybot updater, they remove any version of spybot prior to installing the latest version? To prevent any issues that may occur. Md spybot fan and alot of others are always suggesting to remove spybot and then install the latest version. His post here explains why it is better this way. And I agree it keeps alot of problems from happening. I am enjoying spybot alot, and I am glad to see program updates are finally being offered in the program, but wouldn't this way, if possible, be much better for the customers? It might not be possible, which is why the spybot team has not done this yet, but I am just wondering.

I know maybe the reason is if teatimer is installed, it is a system file/process, and then as such maybe require a reboot in order to remove. But that is on the only thing i can come up with as to why this might not work. I still think it is possible for the spybot installer to shut down teatimer and remove teatimer and all traces (or most) of spybot, and then install the latest spybot version without a reboot needed. Any ideas anyone if this could work? it was just a thought to see if spybot could be even more amazing then it already is.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-08-10 at 05:06.