Thread: Help please: Reciprocating Task Bar, Popping noises & my ISP’s Anti-Virus overridden!

Default Help please: Reciprocating Task Bar, Popping noises & my ISP’s Anti-Virus overridden!

PC spec: Win XP Pro 32bit inc Ser Packs 2 & 3. IE v6. CPU Intel Core2@3gig, RAM 4gig (swap file in RAM, not on H/D) M/B Asus P5WDH deluxe, 7x1Tera H/Ds, MSI-NX8800GT, DX9.0c. Stable machine. Operator: 30yrs Comp. exp. (20yrs on PC’s).

Broadband: Virginmedia, which incorporates PC Guard (Product Version: 6.0.1.26541) includes Radialpoint & Authentium protection software, all integral to the V/Media B/Band service…. It has real-time A/virus – Firewall - Privacy Manager & A/Spyware (although I did not request the A/Spyware function, regardless, it still ‘appears’ to run in the background, within RPS.exe process).

Normally, PC Guard initialises on boot up & immediately checks & auto updates its virus, anti-spyware files & update files.

After updating & installing Spybot S&D v1.6.0.31 - T/Timer v1.06.0001.0022 upon reboot, it intercepts & stops my PC Guard virus checking until after S&D has initialised & started up.

I am very concerned because, at bootup the fast B/Band modem is ‘live’, that a virus/trojan may slip through in the interim while my ISP’s PC Guard virus protection & memory check, is being stopped from functioning for a period of time, by S&D.

The PC Guard RPS.exe process now seems to have altered its periodic functioning that it once did (I had been closely monitoring it (because it slows the PC) using Sysinternals ‘Process Explorer’ prior to the S&D v1.6 update).

Also, my Taskbar is always in ‘Autohide’ mode & ‘Balloon Tips’ switched off (using Tweak XP Pro). But after S&D v1.5 to v1.6 update, I get constant ‘popping’ noises (S&D’s 'Show Info Balloons' is unchecked & PC rebooted) & my Taskbar is being repeatedly triggered up onto the screen & then delays, before going back down, 30-40 times or more.

Even Tweak XP Pro does not stop S&D’s Balloon Tips & resultant noises.

Can the previous version be re-installed, please ? Many thanks

Lightbulb

Hello,

To deactivate the TeaTimer balloons please right click on the TeaTimer icon in the system tray (actually titled "Spybot-SD Resident"). There you can uncheck "Show info balloons" by clicking on it.

It takes quite a bit time that the action takes place because some of the balloons are still in queue. They should stop after a while. A reboot might also help.

Disabling that feature cancels also the sound effects that were caused by the balloons.

Only the balloons with information concerning the scanning of processes are designed to be suppressed when "Show info balloons" is unchecked. The balloons with information concerning registry changes will continue to be displayed.

This information is also available in our forum: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32167