Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Win XPSpybot start up log, could you check to see if I can uncheck anything Also ther

I followed the instrucitons from pg 2 post 12 to disable the ctfmon.

I like to update avg my self, but I am goin to let it do the updates,

I would like to cont here for a while you guys are give me things to check and since I have been working with you for a couple of weeks I would like to stick here.

I am going to turn tea timer back on.

Note The animation on my 98 se machine started after the last spybot update.

In the virus and program update the same things are checked except teh times are diffrent, they have run on start up and run even if low power and they also have enable this task. if you turn off auto update from the update manager from teh virus setting changes.

Don't worry about ctfmon.exe for now.

Okay,I'd like to try this,just to see.Please make sure Teatimer is reenabled.Now,please open Avg.Doubleclick Update Manager.Uncheckmark Start Automatic Updates,then click Save.Next,go to Tools,then Advanced Settings....then Virus database Update Schedule.Uncheck all three checkmarks.Click Apply,then OK.Please do the same under Program Update Schedule.Please reboot your computer.

Once you're logged back into windows,try opening your browser.Is it faster now?

Once you're done checking,please open Avg.Doubleclick Update Manager.Checkmark Start Automatic Updates,then click Save.Next,go to Tools,then Advanced Settings....then Virus database Update Schedule.Check all three checkmarks.Click Apply,then OK.Please do the same under Program Update Schedule.May not be necessary,but reboot your computer for good measure.

Please let me know how it went.

Ok I did that but it is still slow to start I think that the tea timer was the what made it start the quickest.

I have avg to not update auto, java is the 19 th of every month and windows is every tuesday, yesterday while I was on the CP windows sonwload service pack 3? how come and why if it was not tue? thanks

Java's Automatic Updater (jusched.exe) is not necessary (in my opinion), because it will take a good few months before Java releases another update. The current version is 'Version 6 Update 7' FYI. You can (might as well, depending on your motive) [safely] disable it (to save a tiny bite of your resources; 256MBs of RAM).

Yes, Windows XP Service Pack 3 is legitimate.

Why did it update when it was not set to update on that day? Can I check java once in awhile my self?

Can I check java once in awhile my self?
    if you mean check for updates to java, then yes. open the control panel on your computer and click on java and after that on update then click on "update now"

Assuming you are running Windows XP SP2 (SP3), what is the current status of your Automatic Updates in the Security Center?

A green tab would mean that WU is set to update automatically.
    A yellow tab would mean that WU is set to prompt the user when new updates are available.
    A red tab would mean that WU is not set to download updates automatically. It usually means that the user will manually check for the updates.
    --
    You can go the Java website to test if you have the most recent version:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/inst...tect=jre&try=1
    --

Okay.But I'd suggest you please set Avg back to updating automatically.That was just a test.
    Microsoft generally releases updates on Tuesdays,but not always.

You could try this:Open AVG,go to Tools,Advanced Settings...,open Schedules,then Virus database Update Schedule.Uncheck,if checked,Run on computer startup if task has been missed and uncheck,if checked,"Run the update again as soon as the internet connection is available"

Go to Program Update Schedule and uncheck,if checked,"Run the update again as soon as the internet connection is available."

I don't think too much can be done if the delay with your browser is better with Teatimer disabled,since Teatimer scans.That would be your decision,either Teatimer protection,or speed.

This seems more like a slow browser problem,instead of a slow startup problem.
    Storing temp internet files in your cache generally can make web browsing faster,since your computer can use the files stored to call up part or all of web pages faster.But,from time to time you might want to clear these out,since they take up space.If you'd like to clear these out,you can open Tools,Internet Options,under browsing History,click delete,then checkmark whatever you decide to remove,and click delete again.Best one to checkmark would be temporary internet files.

For a slow computer in general,you might like to have a look here:
    http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...r-is-slow.html

I read that link and it was great,
    The tab on updates is green I have it set once a week.
    Java new verison is 6 update 7, I have ver 6 update 1 should I update? what does it do?
    Also My cp downloaded update SP3 yesterday even though my CP is set to download on TUE should I install it? If so I clicked cancel so how would I get it back? thanks alot