Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Win XPSpybot start up log, could you check to see if I can uncheck anything Also ther

I don't see a link that shows me how to reverse it if I diable it. Thanks

Joe, one way to disable "ctfmon.exe" (since English is the primary language on your computer) would be to disable the entry from starting up in the Startup Manager (msconfig), although I found that didn't work if you start up IE7 .

Here are the instructions for disabling "ctfmon.exe":
    1. Open Regional and Language Options from the Control Panel.

2. In the Languages tab, click Details... for Text services and input languages.

3. In the Advanced tab, place a check in Turn off advanced text services, and Apply.

If you want to enable the process, then just do the exact opposite (Untick "Turn off advanced text services").

Yes,if you disable ctfmon using msconfig,it usually reappears in startup when using IE 7.That's why I don't usually recommend disabling it unless it's causing problems or someone particularly wants it disabled.More trouble than it is worth,but that's just my thing.

My cp starts real slow and I heard it is a resource hog.

There are several variables, whether that be a malware infection (not trying to scare you), multiple startup entries (talk about dozens ), or lacking the sufficient resources to run all of them.

Check your TaskManager: How many processes are running?

How much RAM is currently on your XP OS?

Okay,try disabling ctfmon.exe,then,and see if things are any better.After you're done disabling what you've chosen to from startup,could you post another startup log,so I can see it?Instructions above.Thanks.

It may be later in the day before I get a chance to look,if you post tomorrow.

Hi, I am getting ready to leave for vactaion, I will be back monday or tuesday, I will do it then, thanks for all of the help. Is there a better way of the 2 to disable it?

How can I show you the what the taskmanger has and the ram? thanks

From Post #15, I'm asking you that because I wanted to know what is truly "slowing" down your computer.

TaskManager would be to press: Ctrl+Alt+Delete
    For the RAM, go to System Properties in the Control Panel (Performance and Maintenance).

Joe, if you want a easier way to disable then go here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...4&postcount=12

Follow the instructions from the Control Panel. If you happen to find a "better" way to disable it than we (Zenobia and I) suggested feel free to do so ; ).
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-08-21 at 16:32.

Okay,see you Monday or Tuesday,then.

In task manager there where 35 entries in there, some say my user name, System,some say network service some say local service, CPU colume some are zero some 01,02,03 the mem usage colume has all types of #. Some of teh entries are doubles, I guess since at this time I have 4 windows open for the internet. There is also another user on the CP I do not see any list under that name, I guess cause that account is not logged on.

Is tere a very I could copy it so you could see what is there?

celron cpu 2.00 ghz/1.99ghz 256 mb

My Cp is also set to update daily. Does that slow it down? It is just real slow on start up, I will log on under my user name it gets there fast, I my desktop comes up fast, But I can not open anything for a while then say I click on IE it takes a while to open my home page.

Thanks
    Last edited by JOE.G; 2008-08-25 at 16:52. Reason: Update