Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Message: System Settings Protector has encounted a problem and needs to close

Default MS Message: System Settings Protector has encounted a problem and needs to close

After installing SybotS&D 1.6 I get the message on boot up of "System Settings Protector has encounted a problem and needs to close". If I report the problem to MS, and follow the related MS link it tells me SybotS&D is the problem. I've researched the solution on the web but none of the solutions offered work. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Default Same problem

Hi LambertR

I also have this problem. I have uninstalled SpyBotSD, rebooted, reinstalled SpyBotSD, and yet still have this problem. I did not have this problem with the earlier version of SpyBotSD (1.5.0).

An error message dialog box that appears refers to an 'OutOfResources' error, and that it cannot create the tray icon for Teatimer.exe.

I too would be interested in any suggestions Safer Networking staff may have as to how to overcome this problem.

GA8572

WinXP Pro, P4, SpyBotSD 1.6.0.31

Default Experiencing same problem

I also am experiencing the same "Systems Settings Protector has experienced a problem and needs to close" message on bootup. It occurred after TeaTimer was upgraded to 1.6.1. Reinstallation did not help.

Windows XP Pro SP3, Spybot 1.6.0.30, Norton Internet Security 2008.

Hopefully, if a cluster of these reports develops, something can be done.

Hi,

I also have exactly the same problem on two of my PCs. One is running XP SP3 and one running Vista SP1. Since the update I receive this error usually on boot up.

Anyone have any clues? Any idea what effect it's having on security?

Thanks,
    Mark

Default Same Problem With a Twist

I get the same error message but I did not update to 1.6. I am getting it on 1.5.2 It seems to have started after the last huge bunch of Windows updates that automatically installed to my Vista machine.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-08-25 at 17:11. Reason: removed email adress in username

I am getting the same problem when I start-up the PC. Running Windows XP, with all latest patches. Spybot 1.6.0.30. I started to recieve the messages yesterday, despite not having run Spybot for a few weeks.

Hello,

That message is probably refered to the TeaTimer.
    Please rightclick on the TeaTimer icon in the system tray and have a look which version of the TeaTimer you run.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default How to inspect version of Teatimer if Teatimer crashes?

Dear Sandra:

I can't click on the TeaTimer to determine its version because, as stated by every message in this thread, the TeaTimer crashes on boot.

Hello,

Please download the new TeaTimer version 1.6.1.23.
    It is available here.

Just replace the old TeaTimer.exe file with the new one.
    It should be stored in your Spybot folder.
    C:\Programms\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default New TeaTimer binary doesn't solve problem

I have replaced TeaTimer.exe with the new version, and it still crashes on boot, exactly as before.