Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: MS Message: System Settings Protector has encounted a problem and needs to close

Still haven't received any return email with new TeaTimer from "detections(at)spybot.info" from my 2 emails back on 18th and 20th!

However, have downloaded test TeaTimer from link above and no error showing after 2 reboots (so far anyway).

I have been running the new test Teatimer for 6 days now.
    My PC goes on & off 2 - 3 time a day and there has been no error yet!!

Hello,

Some of the sent e-mails came back because some providers seems to block zip and exe files as attachments.
    So please download the new TeaTimer here.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Updating subjects about my life with SB-SnD 1.6 & TeaTimer 1.6.2 (new testversion):

1 yesterday I'd unninstall the hole program (with Windows Add or Remove Programs utility). I'd clean all Windows registry entries (with Small Fix utility). I'd send to recycle bin all folders related to SB-SnD 1.6 & TeaTimer 1.6.2(manually);

2 after that, I'd reboot my system;

3 then I'd install SB-SnD 1.6 and its updates and I'd reboot my system again;

4 the errors occurred again (I'd received 2 error messages - the first one about Windows Explorer, and the second one about System Settings Protector);

5 I'd install TeaTimer 1.6.2 (it was saved in my desktop; 2 clicks to open zipped folder, 2 clicks in the auto installer, choose "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy" folder) and I'd rebbot my system again;

6 since that, no more error messages; TeaTimer is starting with Windows and taking about 45 MB of memory to run (as showed in Windows Task Manager);

7 not one signal of TeaTimer 1.6.2 in "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy"...it seems that it's not installed...in the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates" folder I can find TeaTimer 1.6.1 zipped folder and Teatimer 1.6.1 Application (unzipped)...very strange...but no more error messages;

8 no icon in system tray...very strange...but no more error messages;

9 just one entry related to TeaTimer in SB-SnD startup programs list:
    Key: HK_CU:Run (User S-1-5-21-1752096679-3430870399-372600911-1005)
    Value: SpybotSD TeaTimer
    Command Line: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    (before I unninstall and install the hole program, there was 2 entries related to TeaTimer in SB-SnD startup programs list);

10 today I'd ask for and received updates normally, applied immunization and rebooted my system: no errors at all!!!

So far, I still think something is very strange, because...a) where's TeaTimer 1.6.2? I swear I'd install it!!!! b) where's is TeaTimer system tray icon?

Big hug everyone!!

I'm not leaving SB-SnD!!! I want to believe!!!

André (and, of course, excuse me about my English... )

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

andre.ledo:

Quote Originally Posted by andre.ledo View Post
    10 today I'd ask for and received updates normally, applied immunization and rebooted my system: no errors at all!!!

So far, I still think something is very strange, because...a) where's TeaTimer 1.6.2? I swear I'd install it!!!! b) where's is TeaTimer system tray icon? ...
    Unless you deliberately suppressed the TeaTimer icon with a registry tweak, it should be displayed in the taskbar notification area (system tray) if TeaTimer is running.

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode (answer Yes to the warning message if necessary) » Tools » Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see:
    • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
    • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.

If the following item is unchecked, check it. Or if it is checked, unchecked it and then re-check it:

Is the TeaTimer icon now displayed in the taskbar notification area?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Ok so far

I have been using the new TeaTimer for about a week now (usually 1 boot per day), and so far no problems.

As with other posters, the icon still wont display in the system tray, even though it is clearly running according to Task Manager, but this is no big matter.

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    andre.ledo:

Unless you deliberately suppressed the TeaTimer icon with a registry tweak, it should be displayed in the taskbar notification area (system tray) if TeaTimer is running.

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode (answer Yes to the warning message if necessary) » Tools » Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see:

If the following item is unchecked, check it. Or if it is checked, unchecked it and then re-check it:

LLKone1987 here, I've tried the given directions Spybot Fan has given, and I can attest that this does work. Thank God a Teatimer fix was finally out. This thing was giving me a headache for the past two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    andre.ledo:

Hi, MD

I didn't supress TeaTimer icon...simply because I don't know how to edit Windows registry entries...I just used that Small Fix to clean it, as it was told me to do, by you and/or others SB-SnD Team Members...I'm following your instructions and walking by your book...truly!

The 2 options in Tools>Resident was already checked.

I'd uncheck and then re-check it, and TeaTimer icon appeared in system tray.

1 the dialog box asking for changes permission/confirmation only appeared for the uncheck/re-check of SDHelper. Nothing for TeaTimer.

2 I'd reboot my system (like I always do it after commanding any system change or any program installation ). Guess what? No TeaTimer icon in system tray...but Teatimer is on! And fine!

Big hug and thank's for your attention!

André
    Last edited by andre.ledo; 2008-09-25 at 15:17.

Hello,

Would be helpful to see you TeaTimer log, called "Resident.log".
    It should be stored here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs\

Thanks.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi, Sandra.

The log you asked:

25/9/2008 09:31:22 Allowed (based on user decision) value "{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}" (new data: "") deleted in Browser Helper Object!
    25/9/2008 09:32:04 Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe") added in System Startup user entry!
    25/9/2008 09:32:13 Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}" (new data: "") added in Browser Helper Object!

Thank you!

Big hug!

André