Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: MS Message: System Settings Protector has encounted a problem and needs to close

I've been wrestling with fixing this problem all morning and the new 1.6.2 seemed to fix it BUT ...

THE TEA-TIMER TRAY ICON ISN"T THERE NOW, so I wasn't sure it was fixed and kept futzing around with it for longer than was probably needed (before I made it to the end of the thread here and saw that mentioned).

If I uncheck the Resident boxes, close and reopen the program and recheck the boxes, THEN the systray icon reappears but disappears again after a reboot. Checking the log and Processes in SM shows it's working but the missing icon might cause other people to be confused as I was.

On a related note, I started getting the original error after I installed MS Zune software last week when I bought a Zune. I'm pretty sure I had the 1.6.2.23 update installed prior to that and I only started getting the error messages in the last couple of days.

Thanks for the fix, btw - you might look into the disappearing tray icon though.

Default Same here with TT icon ...

Hi

My (new) TeaTimer is now loading at boot time and no longer giving the error message described in previous posts. However, as with the other most recent posters, TT will not display in the system tray. Unchecking then rechecking TT from within SD forces display of the TT icon, but it is once again not displayed on next boot up.

Here are the contents of my Resident.log:

---------------------------------------------------------------
    27/08/2008 1:33:39 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "QuickTime Task" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Multimedia\Quicktime\qttask.exe" -atboottime") added in System Startup global entry!
    8/09/2008 3:41:52 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "!CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver" (new data: ""C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" msconf.dll,CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver 0") added in System Startup global entry!
    8/09/2008 3:48:36 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "!CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
    8/09/2008 4:09:27 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "!CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver" (new data: ""C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" msconf.dll,CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver 0") added in System Startup global entry!
    8/09/2008 4:40:21 PM Allowed (based on user whitelist) value "!CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
    20/09/2008 10:44:47 AM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "C:\Program Files\Diagnostic\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe /errorverbose") changed in System Startup user entry!
    25/09/2008 12:45:49 PM Tracking Shutdown: now waiting for shutdown event...
    25/09/2008 12:45:49 PM Tracking Shutdown: now removing tray icon...
    25/09/2008 12:45:49 PM Tracking Shutdown: now finalizing main class...
    25/09/2008 12:45:51 PM Tracking Shutdown: now removing atom...
    25/09/2008 12:45:51 PM Tracking Shutdown: should be finished now.
    25/09/2008 12:46:37 PM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "C:\Program Files\Diagnostic\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe") added in System Startup user entry!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for your help. Despite the icon non-display issue, it is a big relief to have the original bug fixed.

Regards

GA

Hello,

For those who do not get a TeaTimer icon displayed in the system tray:

Do you run any other security tools?
    One reported that he is running also McAfee......"the SysTray icon for McAfee (Enterprise 8.5i) also does not display."

So any other icons that you are missing?
    Any updates, service packs etc. that you have downloaded or that might change anything in your system?

Thanks.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Software ...

Hi

I am missing the TT icon, and I have WinXP Pro with SP3, and avast 4.8. I am also missing my sndvol32.exe icon from the system tray. I have not set Windows to hide inactive icons.

Regards

GA

Hello everyone,

First off, I wish to thank all the experts for the patience and support with this issue. Now, I have updated Teatimer to the last version (1.6.2.23), confirmed two ways through the system tray icon=>about and tools=>report. And so far, no more errors messages... yay!!!

I know TeaTimer is running, I checked under the task manager. However, where is the .exe file??? It's not under c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, so where is it? System startup says it's being called from that directory, so it the file isn't located there wouldn't that result in an error message?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac View Post
    Hello everyone,

First off, I wish to thank all the experts for the patience and support with this issue. Now, I have updated Teatimer to the last version (1.6.2.23), confirmed two ways through the system tray icon=>about and tools=>report. And so far, no more errors messages... yay!!!

I know TeaTimer is running, I checked under the task manager. However, where is the .exe file??? It's not under c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, so where is it? System startup says it's being called from that directory, so it the file isn't located there wouldn't that result in an error message?
    Sorry, version is 1.6.3.25 and now I'm not getting the system tray icon upon startup.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Cardiac:

... where is the .exe file??? It's not under c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, so where is it? System startup says it's being called from that directory, so it the file isn't located there wouldn't that result in an error message?
    It's there. It's just hidden.

Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
    • In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
      1. Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
        • Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
        • Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
      2. Uncheck the following option:
        • Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
    • Click the Apply button.
    • Click the OK button.
    • The files should now be displayed

Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Cardiac:

It's there. It's just hidden.

Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
    • In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
      1. Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
        • Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
        • Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
      2. Uncheck the following option:
        • Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
    • Click the Apply button.
    • Click the OK button.
    • The files should now be displayed

Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.
    Doh! I didn't think that it was hidden... how amateur of me...

Also, is there a SAFE way to test if the popup windows displays correctly when a registry change is made? Just to be sure everything works ok...

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Cardiac:

... Also, is there a SAFE way to test if the popup windows displays correctly when a registry change is made? Just to be sure everything works ok...
    One way of testing TeaTimer is to disable and enable the "SDHelper" BHO:
    • Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see:
      • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
    • Uncheck:
    • TeaTimer should issue a popup dialog for deletion of the BHO.
    • Allow the change.
    • Check:
    • TeaTimer will not issue a popup dialog because it automatically allows the addition of the BHO for "SDHelper". Exit Tools » Resident and go back into Tools » Resident and you can verify that in the resident log.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

It worked... awesome! Thanks a million, Spybot truly has the best support staff!