Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Manual Uninstall Spybot 1.6.0

If you do not run the 'Immunization' feature in Spybot, then you will not have the defense/protection provided by Spybot for blocking malicious sites and ActiveX's.

If you should visit the malicious site (with Immunization), you will not be able to access the site.

Default Immunization

But even if you don't immunize, after an updated scan, I will have wiped out the ActiveX controls and restricted sites spyware, for at least until I visit those sites again, is that correct?
    Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    Pentium (R) 4, CPU 2.66 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 6, dialup dinasaur

Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    I will have wiped out the ActiveX controls and restricted sites spyware, for at least until I visit those sites again, is that correct?
    I'm having trouble understanding what you mean... Can you clarify a little more?

If you do not Apply the Immunization, the blocking of malicious/bad ActiveX's will still lurk around... I mean that you will not be protected.

I do not understand what you mean by "...at least until I visit those sites again...".

Default immunization

Doesn't immunization protect your system the same way a scan does? Only it protects your system continuosly from the time you immunize onward. Whereas a scan just protects you until the next time you visit a site that needs you to be protected from and if you haven't immunized, the next scan will catch it and you can delete it all over again. In effect, doesn't each scan catch and let you know you need to delete the same sites that the immunization has detected and is protecting you from continuosly. Do you understand what I'm saying here?
    Maybe you need to define the distinction between what does a scan do and what does immunization do? Thank you.
    Pentium (R) 4, CPU 2.66 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 6, dialup dinasaur

Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    Maybe you need to define the distinction between what does a scan do and what does immunization do?
    No I do not. And I was having trouble understanding your query. Apparently, you are confusing what the Immunization feature and the scan does.

Scanning with Spybot-Search&Destroy, does not protect you from anything. The main core of protection lies within the Immunization.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets53
    Doesn't immunization protect your system the same way a scan does?
    Immunization does. Scan does not.
    Only it protects your system continuosly from the time you immunize onward.
    Immunization protects you when you Immunize.
    Whereas a scan just protects you until the next time you visit a site that needs you to be protected from and if you haven't immunized, the next scan will catch it and you can delete it all over again.
    A scan does not protect anything, like I said before. Delete what again? The HOSTS file has the "bad" sites in it alright, provided with the Immunization.

Thank you.
    Maybe I needed to say, what does a scan and the fix after the scan do?

During a fix, Spybot-SD will attempt to remove the malware through means of removing the infected file (or replace the file with a dummy) and the registry keys, it is associated with. Spybot will save a backup of the files in case something else goes wrong.

A scan is simply a scan. However, Spybot does not scan a file one at a time. It scans in common places where malware "anchor" themselves.

And how is a Spybot fix different from Immunization? Don't they both remove the same or prevent the same infected files respectively?

Again, read this:
    How does Spybot protect against the installation of malware/spyware
    Immunization does not protect you against "infected" or malicious files. Immunization is not a real-time protection feature.

Hi Sweets
    great thread
    leave no turn unstoned
    I'm thinking prevention is more important than scanning later
    I'm on a 298SE dinosaur

have you run
    Secunia software inspector and got all your apps up to date
    this will protect you as much or more than some of the things you have been discussing
    I see no service pack 3 BTW
    Jave- old java is VERY vulnerable remove ALL old Java and install the latest version

Active x blocking with Immunize-
    People say: there is no free lunch
    Blocking Active x and putting a black list in your "restricted sites" zone is about as close to a free lunch as you can get.
    Me- Id install the SpywareBlaster lists also also

Hosts file is also a very big win for very little resource utilization
    a baddie gets on your system he can't phone home
    What's not to like?

Do you have a third party Firewall?
    XP does NOTHING to keep exploits from phoning home and inviting their friends to a party at your place! RAVE anyone?

I do think you should run ONE real time protector
    T-timer is one choice
    Windows Defender from MS
    Spyware Doctor from GooglePack do not install all the other stuff
    BO Clean from COMODO- consider them also for your Firewall (or PC Tools)
    Spyware Terminator Free -do not install the AV and toolbar (and comes with a history- scanner is not Spybot class)
    all have advantages and disadvantages
    Those are about all of the Free Choices without getting into scumware
    here there is no free lunch- all take some resources- some more

Spybot t-timer- good tool, lightest on resources, Free and does not come bundled with any other garbage where you have to uncheck the install boxes

If you install any of the others just do not check t-timer
    but I think Spybot is essential for SD-Helper, Immunize, and a first rate scanner
    And- Spybot does not sell out under pressure

What AV? (Have you ever had any other AV installed or preinstalled on your machine?

Cheers
    Get Safe- stay safe
    or be ready to roll back/ rinstall

are you using only IE?