Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual Uninstall Spybot 1.6.0

Thanks, the reason I don't want the tea timer is because a scan with Spybot 1.6 with the tea timer located something called 'untd_recovery" on startup. I put it on my white list only because I'm not having any problems with my system presently. I asked several times on this forum, what it was and how I could look it up an other things that Spybot finds, so I could know whether or not to allow them but nobody responded. Maybe you would be kind enough, thank you.

Hello sweets.

I've encountered this entry when I first reformatted my Sony VAIO. If I'm correct it has to do with the Netzero software. Are you using any Netzero software? Netzero is a Internet program that enables the user to connect to the Internet.

This seems a bit foggy to me, but I also have another suggestion. This "startup" process may also be the recovery console on your computer. If you run, say like a Recovery CD, it'll revert everything back to factory settings on the computer, thus reformatting it. However, the System Recovery option will not only install back Norton and a few other applications (perhaps media), but the Recovery function. So if something goes wrong, you can use the option to recover the system if you do not have the discs or perform a system restore.

Default Using SpybotSD 1.6 with teatimer

[QUOTE=drragostea;225038][FONT="Tahoma"]Hello sweets.

I've encountered this entry when I first reformatted my Sony VAIO. If I'm correct it has to do with the Netzero software. Are you using any Netzero software? Netzero is a Internet program that enables the user to connect to the Internet.

Yes you are correct. I am using Netzero software. I'm using a dialup connection and I recently had to reinstall my OS with a Recovery CD. However I was guessing that "untd_recovery was necessary so I put it on my whitelist. When I asked here on this forum recently, in several places, nobody would respond, except you, so I felt it was better to remove the program, rather than not know what I'm doing. You know what I mean?
    If Spybot S&D 1.6 finds other unknown files on scans using the teatimer, where can I go on my own to determine what it is before adding or deleting it? Please tell me this.
    Also, to fully remove the very small fix, wouldn't I have to go to, C:\Documents and Settings\"My Name"\Desktop\remove-Spybotsd-settings.reg.
    Please answer all the above if you will and thank you.

The general idea is that the TeaTimer is Spybot-Search&Destroy introduces the use of black&whitelists based on LASSHes.

As a recap (although you posted in the wrong place ):
    http://forums.spybot.info/project.ph...d=271#note1049
    --
    I've used NetZero as a dial-up user in the past, and I've encountered this entry. It should be left as it is.

Now I've used the Google search engine I think your question has been answered ; )
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    --

As for the .reg file, wherever you have saved it, just delete it.

[QUOTE=drragostea;225261][FONT="Tahoma"]The general idea is that the TeaTimer is Spybot-Search&Destroy introduces the use of black&whitelists based on LASSHes.

As a recap (although you posted in the wrong place ):
    http://forums.spybot.info/project.ph...d=271#note1049

I put it in several places but nobody responded (except you). Where would be the right place to find out the name "untd_recovery" or some other unknown file found during a scan?
    Ideally I would like to keep the teatimer (have ongoing protection), and if Spybot found something that was unfamiliar, I would like to be able to go to the forum or somewhere, plug in the name of the unfamiliar file and then go back to the scan and either eadd it to my whitelist or blacklist. Can I do that and where would I go for that?
    If you could please answer all the above and thank you.

--

I saved the very small fix to my Desktop. But would't I have to delete it from my Program Files as well?

The .reg shouldn't be in the Program Files unless you installed it there. The "small fix" will stay there as it is when you downloaded it (eg. Desktop).

Was your question more like: "Is there an option which I can manually 'Allow' or 'Deny' the change?"

What did you mean by "scan"?

I stand corrected. The very small fix was installed to my Desktop. Is that all I need do to completely delete it from my system?
    As for Spybot scans, not being familiar with the terms, I guess you are correct, allow or deny the change is the correct terminology. If Spybot finds something new, where could I go immediately to know whether to allow or deny the change? Thank you

Yes, you will just move the .reg file to the Recycle Bin.

As a general idea there is not really a "single" or "specific" place which provides all the information. Take the extra step and search. May that be a search engine or a technical site. I remember Castle Cops has a good list of BHO's and toolbars which are rated from legitimate, bad, unknown, or open to debate.

Yes thank you. But I want to know before I add or deny a change if I'm doing the right thing. What do I do for instance if I deny or allow a change and want to undo it? Say for instance I denied untd_ recovery, and afterward found that I'd made a mistake. How would I undo the change, please if you will describe fully how to do that and thank you.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

sweets53:

Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    ... What do I do for instance if I deny or allow a change and want to undo it? Say for instance I denied untd_ recovery, and afterward found that I'd made a mistake. How would I undo the change, please if you will describe fully how to do that and thank you.
    There is no facility within TeaTimer to reverse any Registry change decisions ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you make. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again (or manually edit the Registry).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.