Thread: Manual Uninstall Spybot 1.6.0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Manual Uninstall Spybot 1.6.0

Can you please tell me how to completely uninstall Spybot 1.6.0 manually? I'm using Windows XP SP2 Home Edition version 2002. I was unable to locate directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy. I read something about it being hidden but I don't know how to uncover it, in other words find it. I already uninstalled Spybot from Start - All Programs - Spybot - uninstall, and ran the very small fix in the article describing "How to uninstall?", but I want to completely remove the entire program from my computer. Thank you very much

Hello,

In order to completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy, please consider the following link:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Spybot - Search & Destroy will uninstall from the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel without problems.

If you want to completely get rid of Spybot-S&D and the Add/Remove doesn't help, you can delete the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\), then download the very small fix from the faq site and execute it (important! - this will remove all remains from the registry) (this also applies to earlier versions).

If you just want to upgrade to a newer version, please follow the same instructions like above and then install the new version.

After following these instructions please restart your system so that the changes can take place.

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:

* Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Yes Sandra I already read the above information. My question is how do I locate this hidden folder that you describe using Windows XP Home Edition ?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

sweets53:

To display Hidden Files in Windows Explorer
    • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    • Select the View Tab.
    • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you.
    Then after I perform the manual steps to remove Spybot 1.6, can I remove the "very small fix" I've installed, how would I do that?
    Will doing the above remove completely Spybot 1.6 from my entire system, including registry changes?
    Then I would like to install an earlier version of Spybot without the teatimer, so I can run scans when I want too. Can you recommend an earlier version and a link to it?
    Please if you will answer all the above and thank you in advance.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

sweets53:

Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    ... can I remove the "very small fix" I've installed, how would I do that? ...
    Just delete the "remove-spybotsd-settings.reg" file that you downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    ... Then I would like to install an earlier version of Spybot without the teatimer, so I can run scans when I want too. Can you recommend an earlier version and a link to it? ...
    I don't recommend any earlier versions of Spybot. If you don't want to use TeaTimer either:
    1. Don't install it during the installation of Spybot by unchecking the following item on the "Select Additional Tasks" screen during the installation:
      • Use system settings protection (TeaTimer)
    2. Disable TeaTimer after installation by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident and unchecking the following:
      • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.