Quote Originally Posted by wyrmrider View Post
Hi Sweets
great thread
leave no turn unstoned
I'm thinking prevention is more important than scanning later
I'm on a 298SE dinosaur

have you run
Secunia software inspector and got all your apps up to date
this will protect you as much or more than some of the things you have been discussing
I see no service pack 3 BTW
Jave- old java is VERY vulnerable remove ALL old Java and install the latest version

Active x blocking with Immunize-
People say: there is no free lunch
Blocking Active x and putting a black list in your "restricted sites" zone is about as close to a free lunch as you can get.
Me- Id install the SpywareBlaster lists also also

Hosts file is also a very big win for very little resource utilization a baddie gets on your system he can't phone home
What's not to like?

Do you have a third party Firewall?
XP does NOTHING to keep exploits from phoning home and inviting their friends to a party at your place! RAVE anyone?

I do think you should run ONE real time protector
T-timer is one choice
Windows Defender from MS
Spyware Doctor from GooglePack do not install all the other stuff

BO Clean from COMODO- consider them also for your Firewall (or PC Tools)

Spyware Terminator Free -do not install the AV and toolbar (and comes with a history- scanner is not Spybot class)
all have advantages and disadvantages
Those are about all of the Free Choices without getting into scumware
here there is no free lunch- all take some resources- some more

Spybot t-timer- good tool, lightest on resources, Free and does not come bundled with any other garbage where you have to uncheck the install boxes

If you install any of the others just do not check t-timer
but I think Spybot is essential for SD-Helper, Immunize, and a first rate scanner
And- Spybot does not sell out under pressure

What AV? (Have you ever had any other AV installed or preinstalled on your machine?

Cheers
Get Safe- stay safe
or be ready to roll back/ rinstall

are you using only IE?
Hi, don't want to derail this thread, but it certainly has explained how S&D works and helps.

Secunia is great if for nothing more than to let you know there are updates for the software available.

So I have a couple of questions for this poster.

I know nothing about Hosts Files, but I am intriqued by the statement that it keeps an app from calling out to the internet (presumably to itself).
Can you explain this a bit more to me, or point me to a resource for info. My input into google must not be to their liking.

Next item is Comodo BO Clean. This is for browser objects, right?
I thought S&D took care of everything in that area. Does it miss something?

You are right that there are free utilities out there that do some great things like S&D, but it is important to check them out first; and if they only duplicate what other software does with nothing added, then they are just taking extra resources (I do like SMALL apps)

Thanks