Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Manual Uninstall Spybot 1.6.0

Default Resident SD Helper

Hello again,
    Could you please explain the Resident SD Helper fully? I am undecided whether or not to disable it and just use Spybot as an on demand anti spyware scanner. Thank you very much
    Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    Pentium (R) 4, CPU 2.66 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 6, dialup dinasaur

If the SaferNetworking FAQ's did not clear your doubts, I'll try to explain it the best I can.

There are two parts of the Spybot-SD Resident Shield. The Resident 'Shield' is just a general term.

The 'SDHelper' would be your protection during an Internet Explorer browsing session. It'll attempt to block the malicious downloads by bad sites [and it's cookies and ads].

TeaTimer would be your "watchdog". The Windows registry is critical because it's more like your brain, containing all the data of the PC (from valuable data to priceless family photos). TeaTimer's main purpose is to alert the user that something has changed (maybe with or without the user's knowledge). Sometimes, this maybe useful as it may prevent a malicious BHO or a malicious startup entry.

Whether to use it or not is up to you, SDHelper may be one of the easiest tools to use, while TeaTimer (you do not have to be a rocket scientist) will need some understanding.

I tried my best to explain it to you [keeping it simple]. I hope you understand.

Default on demand a-s scanner

Thanks for the explanation. Then would you say if I just wanted to use Spybot as an on demand scanner to disable just the tea timer alone and leave the SDHelper functioning? Is there any down side to the SDHelper? Thank you.
    Pentium (R) 4, CPU 2.66 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 6, dialup dinasaur

Spybot-Search&Destroy can act as a on-demand scanner. It will fit to your motives. Of course you can disable TeaTimer anytime you wish.

Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 offers a right-click scanning (on-demand scanner) for a single file, and it's scan option in the program itself will perform a full system scan.

There should no problems with SDHelper. There are no drawbacks/downsides (if you mean like slowdowns or freezing).

Default Custom installation Spybot S&D 1.6.0

I want to eliminate all unnecessary parts to the installation, cut the program to the bare bones and only use the program as an on demand scanner. I noticed the following on install and wonder if I can eliminate them right off the bat, hopefully you can tell me what each one of them is for as I have not installed the program yet and can uncheck them:
    "Icons for starting blind user mode"
    "Additional languages"
    "Skins to change appearance"
    "Download updates immediately"
    "Separate secure shredder application"
    "Explorer file scan plugin (in file context menu)"

I have included below my OS and details of my computer to assist. Please let me know if you require more details and thank you very much.

sweets, you have a decent configurations. No problems.

If you want to strip it down to bare bones, it is your choice.

Basically, you can eliminate all the choices below.

No skins. No context scanning. Nothing.
    -
    However, to be specific you must keep Spybot updated (with the definitions update; no need to Immunize).

Thank you but what about the other choices on install you did not mention?

Icons for strarting blind use mode - do I need this/what does it do?

Additional languages - do I need anything other than English?

Download updates immediately - can't I go to the site and update as needed?

Separate Secure shredder operation - what's this for?

Explorer file scan plugin - what's this?

Please let me know what each of these does and thank you.

For my configuration, I chose the "Explorer file scan plugin" option.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    Icons for strarting blind use mode - do I need this/what does it do?

Additional languages - do I need anything other than English?

Download updates immediately - can't I go to the site and update as needed?

Separate Secure shredder operation - what's this for?

Explorer file scan plugin - what's this?
    -
    1. If you are not colorblind, then there is no need to use this option.
    2. If you prefer (during installation) you can download the latest updates to Spybot ASAP. Either way you can update Spybot (whether that be earlier [now] or later [after installation]).
    3. If English is your primary language, no need to installation additional ones. Ask yourself, sweets. Do you another language to run Spybot? No.
    3. The Secure Shredder option is available in Advanced Mode, which enables you to remove files permanently. So if it's something really secret or important that you do not want anybody else to see/find out, you can use this option.
    4. See attachment.

Do I need the Secure shredder option, if I am the only one using this computer?

Are you agreeing with me on the download immediately thing? I can always download updates without adding this feature?

"See Attachment" I don't know what you're trying to say here? I definitely want to be able to right-click a file and scan it. Are you saying that's what "Explorer file scan plugin" allows one to do? That I should install
    Explorer file scan plugin, if I want to be able to scan files?

Please answer all questions and thank you.

I cannot answer your question about the Secure Shredder. It is up to you to decide. I've described what the Shredder option is in the response above. No one knows your PC better than you.

The "Download Updates Immediately" is a one time feature only, which occurs only during installation. After that, you can manually check for updates anytime you want.

I've attached a screenshot of what the option looks like, so you'll get a general idea. It it used for single file scanning. If you wish to install it, you can do so by ticking the option.