Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Manual Uninstall Spybot 1.6.0

If by single file scanning you mean, that the only way I can right-click on a file and scan it for spyware, than yes Explorer file plugin is something I'd want. Is that what you're saying?

As for the Shredder if I delete a file it goes to the Recycle Bin where I can then get rid of it, without this attachment, is that right?
    Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    Pentium (R) 4, CPU 2.66 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 6, dialup dinasaur

To put it in simpler terms, if the right-click scanning function is something you would like, then yes you can add that. The screenshot (attachment) above will show you what it looks like.

When you delete a file to the Recycle Bin, it does not get removed permanently. It stays stored in a hidden partition (or unused) of your Hard Drive. A decent Recovery tool can undo that and recover the files. Anyone can do that. Most critical thing is that if you plan to delete important documents such as credit card or financial related, then Secure Shredder will do your job.

Spybot's Secure Shredder is used to ensure the complete removal of the file, compared to the removal from the Recycle Bin.

You say,if I don't install Explorer file plugin, then I won't be able to right-click on a file and scan it with Spybot S&D. Please correct me if I'm reading you wrong. Thank you
    Pentium (R) 4, CPU 2.66 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 6, dialup dinasaur

Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    You say, if I don't install Explorer file plugin, then I won't be able to right-click on a file and scan it with Spybot S&D. Is that correct? Please correct me if I'm reading you wrong.
    Also, I have Trend Micro's CW Shredder. Do you still think I need Spybot's file
    shredder?

The right-click scanning option will not be available if you should not enable it.

sweets, you are confusing the term's "shredder". The Spybot Secure Shredder is used for permanent removal of a file.

Trend Micro's CW (CoolWebSearch) Shredder is used to detect and remove CoolWebSearch related malware.

Then it looks like skins, colorblind, additional languages, and tea timer are the only things i can avoid on the install, do you agree?

You can avoid all that. TeaTimer, SDHelper, additional languages, and skins. All that you can avoid.

Just let Spybot do the scanning.

Default Spybot S&D-Updater

During installation of Spybot S&D 1.6.0, I proceeded to Spybot's updater but did not install the following items, (just to refresh your memory you here I did not install the tea timer, skins, additional languages, and icons for blind user mode), did not install these items:
    English language
    English descriptions
    F/P fixes
    tea timer updates
    immunization database

I was asked to immunize after this but decided not to.
    Can you tell me if I did all of the above correctly or do I need to go back and do something else. Thank you

Basically you are fine with the configuration. However one thing you are missing is the "F/P Fix (False positive update)". You don't want Spybot detecting false positives ; ).

Should I go back and update F/P fixes?
    What does immunization mean and do? Do I need it with my present configuration? Thank you