Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Manual Uninstall Spybot 1.6.0

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Basically you are fine with the configuration. However one thing you are missing is the "F/P Fix (False positive update)". You don't want Spybot detecting false positives ; ).
    What Immunization does is adds entries to the Windows HOSTS file. It also means adding bad websites to your browser's blocklist. So it'll be more like passive protection.

But if I don't install tea timer, does immunization make sense?
    Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    Pentium (R) 4, CPU 2.66 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 6, dialup dinasaur

TeaTimer provides "active" protection in a sense, but it constantly monitors your machine. The Immunization feature offers passive protection.

Even if you disable TeaTimer, Spybot will work fine with it. Same for the immunization, it'll work fine.

You don't have to use both or either function if you do not wish to.

How does immunization know which bad hosts to block? What exactly will I give up if I don't use immunization? Thank you
    Pentium (R) 4, CPU 2.66 GHZ, 512 MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 6, dialup dinasaur

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

sweets53:

Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    How does immunization know which bad hosts to block?
    A lists of domain/host names to block is provide via updates to the Domains.sbs file. There are currently 9218 domains in that list.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets53 View Post
    What exactly will I give up if I don't use immunization?
    The immunization process adds entries to the system registry and/or specific browser files to either restrict what certain sites (domains) you are accessing through your browser are allowed to do or blocks access to the certain sites (domains) entirely.

The items listed under "Internet Explorer (32 bit) " and "Internet Explorer (32/64 bit) " add entries to the system registry.
    • Items listed as "... (Cookies)" block the storing of cookies from certain sites.
    • Items listed as "... (Domains)" and "... (IPs)" add sites to the restricted sites zone.
      • "... (Domains)" are added to the restricted sites zone by domain name.
      • "... (IPs)" are added to the restricted sites zone by IP Address.
      Adding sites to the restricted zone blocks their ability to store cookies, download ActiveX processes as well as placing other restrictions on those sites depending on your settings for restricted zone sites within Internet Explorer.
    • Items listed as "... (Plugins)" block the download/execution of specific ActiveX processes.

The items listed under Mozilla products such as "Firefox" add entries to Mozilla's hostperm.1 file (or in latest releases to the cookies.sqlite and permissions.sqlite files).
    • Items listed as "... (Cookies)" prohibit sites from storing cookies.
    • Items listed as "... (Images)" prohibit sites from displaying images.
    • Items listed as "... (Installations)" prohibit sites from initiating extensions installations.
    • Items listed as "... (Popups)" prohibit sites from opening popup windows.

The item listed under "System" adds entries to the system's HOSTS file.
    • Item listed as "Global (Hosts)" adds entries to the system HOSTS file, equating site names (domain names) to the localhost (your system), affectively blocking access to those sites.

By not immunizing you are not taking advantage of this protection.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-09-21 at 15:43.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Then immunizing would block certain restricted sites that are not of my choosing, but determined by Spybot as needed to be restricted, is that correct?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

sweets53:

Yes, the sites and ActiveX controls blocked are determined by Team Spybot.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Don't I need some of these ActiveX controls that are being blocked?

It depends on what these ActiveX controls are. Team Spybot focuses more on malicious ActiveX's.

Default Immunization

Then without immunization, if I run an up to date Spybot scan, I am just removing the ActiveX controls and restricted sites determined by Spybot's team for immediately after that scan and these may return after the scan, if I visit those sites, whereas if I immunize they are permanently blocked from returning, is that correct?