Thread: Immunize undo fails to undo IE controls

Default Immunize undo fails to undo IE controls

Been running Spybot for some time (with IE 7 and Windows XP) with no problems. Just installed Spybot 1.6.0, did a registry backup, and (for the first time) used the 'Immunize' button. All seemed OK but I found I could not use the 'British Council' website to play songs for my 10 month old, as I used to be able to.

Decide to 'Immunize UNDO' (as all was OK before I immunized). Appeared to work but still could not use the website and could NOT find the registry backup Spybot supposedly did. I think Spybot has played with the registry and the 'undo' did not actually 'undo' because when I use IE to look at TOOLS -> Internet Options -> Security the DEFAULT LEVEL button for all zones is GREYED OUT and I dont know which Custom Level settings Spybot has changed.

So I think there are 2 issues:
    1. Registry backup doesnt work (at all?)
    2. Immunize UNDO doesnt work properly

Any help to undo the registry changes Immunize did would be much appreciated.

Smile

sammy57,

If after the undo, it shows all of the items as unprotected, then the unimmunise has almost certainly worked but is now leaving you wide open to infection and as it did not resolve the problem I suggest you re-immunise again.

You haven't given the URL of the site you can't access so I can't try it from here, but what may be blocking it is the IE browser helper. If you open IE7, click on the tools menu then Spybot Search & Destroy configuration, and using the pull down options, set to "Ask for blocking confirmation". Click OK then exit the browser. Restart the browser and retry the site. If it is the browser helper it will now ask you to either allow or deny it, and you can choose to have this as an always option.

If you don't want the browser helper to work at all, then Start Spybot, set mode to advanced, then click on Tools then Resident. Remove the tick from Resident SD helper. Again this will result in the loss of another layer of protection.

If the site is being blocked by Spybot, then either it is a false positive (Spybot believes there is a problem when there isn't), or there really is a problem with the site. Either way, if you bypass the block it is at your own risk.

Edit: The default level button is greyed out on the internet security when the custom level button is not, which actually indicates that the setting is the default Windows setting. If you click on the custom level button (meaning you now want to use custom settings) and alter any setting, then click OK, then Yes, the default button will now become available (so you can return the settings to default). This has nothing to do with Spybot
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-08-10 at 13:29.

Default Url

Thanks very muich for the reply. I will try all of this.
    Meantime, the URl is http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-songs-incy-wincy.htm

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

sammy57:

I had no problems accessing the site using Internet Explorer 7 with Spybot fully immunized and SDHelper running. However, it seems that the URL for "incy wincy spider" is not working properly. All the other songs except "incy wincy spider" seem to work fine.

I don't know what the problem is but I do not believe that it is Spybot causing it. It could just be that that particular URL is not working correctly.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks

Thanks for your efforts. Much appreciated.