Thread: Update to 6.1 rendered my computer almost inoperable

Default Update to 6.1 rendered my computer almost inoperable

I now have a connection speed worse than dial-up ever hoped to be. Plus it takes a good 15 minutes for my computer to boot, as well as close. The only way I could get my computer to work again was to uninstall Spybot.

Please help me remedy this. I've used Spybot for years and want to continue to do so

Angry Sorry I can't help but....

I'm glad I'm not the only one. (well, not really glad, you know what I mean) I updated and since then when spybot starts loading it goes through it's checks with the balloons popping up and the machine slows to a crawl. I have a laptop which I put on a stand and use a separate keyboard which is now missing a letter because I got so mad and threw it.

I have been trying for several evenings to sort out the problem. I didn't think it was spybot at first. Finally I realised that it was probably spybot that was the problem. I have now disabled it and fingers crossed the machine is now working....

Of course this isn't the answer to the problem. I would also like to continue using Spybot. I think I might uninstall the new version and go back to the old if that is possible.

I am running vista home premium. I don't know if that makes a difference. I also run asquared and bullguard.

Are you using the immunize or Teatimer features? I don't and I have noticed no difference in speed with 1.6 installed. I do notice 1.6 scans much faster than 1.5 did.

The TeaTimer resource usage will depend on the user motivation and the amount of resources the computer has (RAM). By default when TeaTimer is first activated, it is set to "Conserve" memory mode, thus this tends to suit systems who have large memory amounts, say like 1 GB of memory. Of course, the user can (with a registry tweak) set it to run faster if they have the resources.

@snowboarder, you have to explain your situation a little more. Have you disabled "SDHelper" and see if that improves the situation? What is your current Internet Connection provided by your ISP (dial-up, DSL [broadband], Wi-Fi)?

Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 is optimized for faster scanning time and Immunization for newer browsers such as Firefox 3.x and Opera 9.5.x. So yes, a shorter (faster) scanning time would be one of the benefits.

Also, hopeful and snowboarder, I would like you to open TaskManager and see how much memory TeaTimer is using.