Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animated tea timer systray icon

Default Animated tea timer systray icon

I have install S&D 1.6.0.3.1
    The S&D Resident icon looks like the previous version except the key lock image moves clockwise around the rectangle of the icon when activity is happening. A little distracting, but interesing. However, when i installed the program on another computer, there is no icon movement, just like v 1.5.
    One or the other is malfunctioning, but which one? how is this feature controlled. I have selected and deselected all options after right clicking the systray icon. All installations are on xp pro sp2, P4 computers.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

rleescott:

What version of TeaTimer.exe are you running on each of the two systems? To find and display the version of TeaTimer you are running:
    • Using windows explorer navigate to:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Right click on TeaTimer.exe (see note below) and select Properties.
    • In the Version tab look at File version.

Note: Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
    • Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
    • In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
      1. Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
        • Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
        • Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
      2. Uncheck the following option:
        • Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
    • Click the Apply button.
    • Click the OK button.
    • The files should now be displayed

Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rleescott View Post
    I have install S&D 1.6.0.3.1
    The S&D Resident icon looks like the previous version except the key lock image moves clockwise around the rectangle of the icon when activity is happening. A little distracting, but interesing. However, when i installed the program on another computer, there is no icon movement, just like v 1.5.
    One or the other is malfunctioning, but which one? how is this feature controlled. I have selected and deselected all options after right clicking the systray icon. All installations are on xp pro sp2, P4 computers.
    As md usa spybot fan said, it's related to the version of Teatimer you have.
    I fairly sure the padlock was static on Teatimer 1.6.1.20. I don't actually remember it moving in 1.6.1.21 but it may have, and it certainly does move in beta 1.6.1.22.

I don't know of any way to change the action of icon itself, except by turning off Teatimer which would remove it altogether, but then you would loose Teatimer's protection. Many of us consider the use of "movement" in task bar icons a good feature, because it is a simple indication of activity. Avast AV, Zone Alarm, Palm Hot Sync to name just a few all use task bar icon movement.

Yea but most applications have a way to turn off that annimation personally I always do.

Thank you for the replies, all. As I indicated in my initial post, I am runiing Spybot S&D 1.6.0.31. I assume the version of tea timer is specifically linked to the version of Spybot, and I have not made an effort to update tea timer w/o updating the primary program. So I guess I am asking if it is known in the version of S&D that I listed, that the tea timer padlock moves? Surely, if it is expected to move in my version, then others are aware of it? My issue is that I updated both systems to the max, and one is animated and the other is not. I guess it's possible that a newer version slipped in between install 1 and install 2, but I don't have access to both systems until Monday. I will check, but in the meantime, am I the only one with a version of S&D with an animated padlock?

rleescott:

Quote Originally Posted by rleescott View Post
    ... I will check, but in the meantime, am I the only one with a version of S&D with an animated padlock?
    Absolutely not!!! My is animated (TeaTimer 1.6.1.22). That is why I asked you to compare the two versions of TeaTimer.exe you are running.

Greyfox's is animated. From above:

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    ... I fairly sure the padlock was static on Teatimer 1.6.1.20. I don't actually remember it moving in 1.6.1.21 but it may have, and it certainly does move in beta 1.6.1.22.
    Also z3razerviper's is animated and from a post in another thread, "... it annoys ..." them:

Quote Originally Posted by z3razerviper View Post
    ... I want tea timers tray icon to not be animated it annoys me.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Great, at least it is not a malfunction. But, this brings up another issue. The Spybot version with the moving padlock is 1.6.0.31. The versions on my installations that are not animated are 1.6.0.30. Every time I installed the update file of Spybot 1.6, I ran a full update and installed all but skins and language. If there is a teatimer update included, it was installed with everything else. It appears that full updates for me are stopping at 1.6.0.30, except the one computer with an animated padlock, which has 1.6.0.31. I would like all installs to be the same with the animated lock. Why is running a full update not sufficient to bring all installs to the identical version number? This inconsistency is the root of my problem.

Here is the info you requested, md usa spybot fan:
    Tea timer v 1.6.0.20 on machines w/o animated lock
    Tea timer v 1.6.1.22 on machine w/ animated lock
    I have downloaded what was listed as Spybot 1.6.0.31 on various sites and it is only 1.6.0.0 until updated, and it only updates to 1.6.0.30, never to 1.6.0.31.
    Again I ask, how is it that a full update does not automatically take me to 1.6.0.31, which I assume will give me the later animated tea timer? Even if you can direct me to a source to update only tea timer, I would still like to get all updates by simply running update.

rleescott:

If you downloaded the Spybot 1.6 installation file (spybotsd160.exe) from one of the mirror sites, SpybotSD.exe 1.6.0.30 and TeaTimer.exe 1.6.0.20 were installed. That version did not have the information balloons nor an animated system tray icom. There have been at least two (2) beta versions of TeaTimer released since then that issue the information balloons:
    • Teatimer 1.6.1.21
    • Teatimer 1.6.1.22

TeaTimer 1.6.1.21 was offered as a download.

Teatimer 1.6.1.22 was offered as a beta update within Spybot 1.6 (see note below), but looks like it is no longer available that way.

If you running a version of Spybot below 1.6 when automatic updates to Spybot 1.6 were offered SpybotSD.exe 1.6.0.31 and TeaTimer.exe 1.6.1.22 were installed.

Another beta version of TeaTimer was just released (TeaTimer.exe 1.6.2.23). See this post.

Note: To get beta updates, go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Settings » Settings. Scroll down in options tree until you get to "Web update". Check the following item.
    • Display available beta versions.

Ok, so first I downloaded the link for tt 1.6.2.21 as a zip file, unzipped to find an exe. file and several registry files. I double clicked the exe file and tea timer is no different. Am I supposed to do something with the registry files, and if so, what? There are several registry files.
    I then tried activating beta updates but it does not provide the tea timer or the spybot 1.6.0.31.
    Since this didn't work, I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.4 and 1.5 to see if auto update would get me to 1.6.0.31, but it only makes it to 1.6.0.30.
    So, now what?