Thread: need help with browser reading (immunizing)

Default need help with browser reading (immunizing)

itryed it does not immunize all entries misses 27000 or sohttp://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9...8145308sf2.png
    Last edited by justime8; 2008-08-16 at 01:06. Reason: attchment did not work i must have done something wrong

Hello,

Please try the following:
    Go to the folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
    or:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Netscape\Navigator\Profiles\randomid.default\
    There please delete the permissions.sqlite and generate a new file for the hostperm.1 that is empty.
    Now please immunize again.
    That should solve the problem.

This information is also available in our forum:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30681

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

ok looks like i do not know how to generate a new file for the hostperm.1 that is supposed to be empty but mine is 856 kb so i renamed it and deleted the permissions sqlite ran the immunize app again and now i got twice the unprotected entries. very intresting. now i have put it all back the way it was and am still looking at 54000 unprotected entries or so. think you could guild me through generating a file type like that?

Default certainly

(WinME should hopefully be similar enough to your system for these instructions)

Open up Control Panel, Folder Options, View (tab). Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types". Now when you create a new NotePad document and rename it as hostperm.1 you must make sure to rename it without the .txt extension - in other words it is truly a hostperm file with a .1 extension (which for me shows as a 'generic' Windows icon rather than the one usually seen for .txt files).

However, you mentioned that you have a permissions.sqlite file? If so, then you have Firefox 3 (which should have no hostperm.1 file, as I understand it). PepiMK's workaround of 'tricking' SSD160 into recognizing FF3 as a FF2 install via the instructions noted in the link above should work with a viable 'blank' hostperm.1 - I have no direct experience with FF3 (since it is not compatible with my OS), but SeaMonkey v1.1.11 is similar in having a permissions.sqlite (for what it's worth I had to 'prime' SM1111 to get it to accept SSD immunization by making an allow/deny rule first and then all was fine .. this can happen on fresh installs).

Firefox does not make it very clear that sometimes an 'upgrade' (rather than an uninstall old version, install new version) may sometimes result in a slightly corrupted browser or profile. You should be able to keep your old profile with all your bookmarks and passwords, etc - and in general it's always better to uninstall old version, then install new with Firefox (rather than the online 'update' method or an 'over'install, especially with a major version change such as from the version 2 series to the 3). If you have any addons, be sure to check their compatibility with FF3 .. some few are not.

Good to see others using Opera 927 - tried 950 and

i have these to select from when i rite click folder, sortcut, briefcase, bitmap image, wordpad doc., winwar archive, rich text doc., text doc, wave sound and winrar zip achive i have all hidden files and all extensions showing tried to make new sortcut to notepad but not real sure where to find it in the sortcut/browse tab. yes i did have ff2 and now i have 3. have had not trouble with it except this. but i have uninstalled and reinstalled firefox like 3 times thinking that i may have done something wrong. once i have uninstaled and try to immunize i still get stuff for firefox and mozilla even with firefox uninstalled. is firesfox and mozill not the same browser?

Default XP Profiles

Just in case it may help anyone else here is the workaround I used if you have several Windows user profiles on your PC. Log into each of the profiles and run Spybot. Even if it tells you that you don't have administrative rights (for those profiles that don't) it will still run. Once you've done this once you should be able to go back to the original profile that you logged in with and then run Spybot to completely immunize your files.

Hope this helps and if it was already posted then you sorry to take up your time.

Cheers,
    Vern

P.S.
    I'm running XP SP3 and non SP3 with Spybot v1.6.0.31 - both with Firefox 3.
    Last edited by bfe_vern; 2008-08-20 at 09:44.

Smile good ideas on the Win user-profiles, Vern ..

I'm so used to keeping it simple I tend to not notice that (so many ways to do things gives one a respect that things work as well as they do when they do).

@justime8

Yep, a New/ Text Document usually opens with NotePad and will serve as the basis for that PepiMK workaround if you need to do that - you might try Vern's suggestion if you have multiple Windows user-profiles (aka logins, Administrator, Limited User Account etc) and see if that works for you.

Hmm, "stuff" like e-mail or notifications or ? If you opt in to any service (and sometimes notifications are set as the default if you register a product or even right after you install, a 'welcome' site is automatically opened or tries ), lines get fuzzy as to where it ends if ever. Often you can opt out or uncheck the pre-checked options. Mozilla is the main official organization for many things - Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Sunbird, etc as well as more general development and services. It's an interesting and varied history.

i have uninstalled all of firefox 3 and 2 ran spybot and all entries for mozilla and firefox were gone so a clean immunizing was achieved at that time .and now have reinstalled firefox3 witch does have a permissions.sqlite 2kb. at C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fjosmwlk.default and it has no hostperm.1 ran a new immunize and now i have 27426 unprotected again i did not however take my add-ons out

well i do not know what happend but a reboot just spybot and i got a good immunize with my firefox installed so looks like all is good
    thank you for the help i feel much better not looking at 27000 unprotected 0 is much more better