Thread: Is S&D now both bogus and proprietary?

Default Is S&D now both bogus and proprietary?

What's going on? Spybot S&D used to identify "Safer Networking" as one of the spybots it could find. Now, I'm supposed to believe that "Safer Networking" is the OWNER of S&D? Excuse me? When I first downloaded it, years ago, it was a GNU program. So what has changed, and why is one of the "culprits" S&D used to find now somehow in control of S&D itself?

I've sometimes upgraded S&D, only to have a window open to install what (I thought) was an upgraded version. But once it started installing actual files, I could see the names were all in geeky symbols, so I stopped the installation. Too late, though, because problems arose right away. How can I be instructed to install a faux version of S&D through S&D's OWN update system?

And now, it seems I have to come here, to a site RUN by "Safer Networking," in order to ask these questions at ALL!

I smell a big can of worms here.

Quote Originally Posted by faster View Post
    What's going on? Spybot S&D used to identify "Safer Networking" as one of the spybots it could find. Now, I'm supposed to believe that "Safer Networking" is the OWNER of S&D? Excuse me? When I first downloaded it, years ago, it was a GNU program. So what has changed, and why is one of the "culprits" S&D used to find now somehow in control of S&D itself?
    Hello faster,

You appear to be a little confused, Patrick Kolla is the developer of Spybot-S&D and his company is Safer Networking.
    Quote Originally Posted by faster View Post
    . How can I be instructed to install a faux version of S&D through S&D's OWN update system?

And now, it seems I have to come here, to a site RUN by "Safer Networking," in order to ask these questions at ALL!

I smell a big can of worms here.
    Do you, I'm afraid you are very much mistaken.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2003-06-21.html

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016