Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&d 1.6

Default S&d 1.6

When I click on the "Check for Problems," does it always do a FULL system scan? (If not, how would I get it to do a Full system scan?)

Also, I checked the 'View Previous Reports' and just see today's scan. Shouldn't I see previous scans? Is yes, why am I not seeing previous scan dates?

Alice
    Vista Home Premium sp1 / IE7 / Toshiba Satellite notebook 3GB Ram / 250GB HD / Defender / AVG 8 / SpyBot S&D 1.6 / SpyWare Blaster

yes, it does a full scan when clicking that one. but it does not check for usage tracks, you must activate that yourself.

ccleaner deletes spybots logs i think, but i dont know if you have ccleaner. i have my old logs but i do not run ccleaner everyday.

Thanks for the respnse.
    Sorry, but I do not know what you mean when you say "but it does not check for usage tracks, you must activate that yourself"

What are "usage tracks" and do I need to check for them? If so, how would I do that?
    (I am a novice beginner who knows almost nothing about computers and just trying to learn and stay up-to-date with all these programs, etc.)

Also, regarding the "view reports" - I looked at my son's Win98 notebook with S&D and see that he has previous scans when he clicked on "view prevous reports." He has CCleaner which he runs every day. I also have CCleaner on my Vista which I run everyday also. I wonder why I do not see previous scan and yet my son does see prevous scans.

Alice
    Vista Home Premium sp1 / IE7 / Toshiba Satellite notebook 3GB Ram / 250GB HD / Defender / AVG 8 / SpyBot S&D 1.6 / SpyWare Blaster

Alice, user trackage is merely, cookies and MRU's. Here's a link:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/d...agetracks.html
    --
    When Spybot-SD is installed, the user trackage file set entry is not enabled by default, thus if the user wishes for Spybot to scan for cookies and such, they'll have to enable manually.

Is CCleaner using it's default options on your computer? Take caution when using the registry tool. In fact, I don't suggest using it at all.

to check for usage tracks, click settings and then file sets and place a checkmark in usage tracking and tracks. usage tracks are cookies, temporary internet files and some other tracks and logs. they are harmless. default option in ccleaner is a checkmark on the spybot box but it shouldnt be checked by default for security reasons, i have it unchecked.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-08-21 at 00:05.

Thank you.

I will pass all this on to my son, who set-up both computers.

Is it better to have that option (usage tracks) enabled? Or doesn't it 'really' matter.

What do you mean by "shouldn't be checked by default for security reasons" (in your sentence: "default option in ccleaner is a checkmark on the spybot box and it shouldnt be checked by default for security reasons.")?

What are the security reasons?

Alice

Quote Originally Posted by tiger2 View Post
    What are the security reasons?
    I thought about that too...

However, if Spybot is indeed loading (installed) on the computer it will come up under "Utilities". It is checked by default.

I can tell you that, it doesn't "really" matter about the user trackage, as you will sweep it with CCleaner regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    I thought about that too...

However, if Spybot is indeed loading (installed) on the computer it will come up under "Utilities". It is checked by default.

I can tell you that, it doesn't "really" matter about the user trackage, as you will sweep it with CCleaner regardless.
    Thank you.
    Yep, you are right. When I looked in Applications, I saw both items were checked - S&D and Defender. I un-checked both of them (don't think it will do any harm - hope it doesn't do any harm), hoping that I will now be able to see the previous scan reports (logs) when I click on View Previous Reports. At least it is worth a try.

Alice

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3...eanersdfr1.jpg

It won't do any harm. I've unticked that entry too.

I have not ran a scan yet, but I will do so, later on this week.

Is the 'View Previous Reports' option available after the scan completes?
    --

If I am not mistaken, when I looked in View Previous Reports, I just saw todays date. No previous dates.
    After I ran the CCleaner, I didn't see any dates there. That is why I want to see what happens the next time I do a few more updates and a few more scans. Hopefully, unchecking the S&D in CC will allow the previous dates to remain.

Alice

Boy, all of this is so confusing. All of this is happening on my Vista. My son has the Win98 and the grandchildren have WinXP and all of us want to get the NIS off the Win98. My son wants to install AVG8 in it's (NIS) place and we are still trying to find a real easy (user friendly - easy to download / install and configure) firewall for the Win98. None of us know anything about computers, etc. and so, finding the right firewall is getting to be a pain.