Thread: Slow Loading using Opera 9 Browser using Spybot 1.6

Default Slow Loading using Opera 9 Browser using Spybot 1.6

Hi, I'm a new member of this forum. I have been using Spybot since at least the 1.3 version.

One thing that has been bothering me since the 1.4 is the slow loading of my Opera 9xx browser since the 1.4 version.

I'm on dialup and it using takes a 1 1/2 minutes before the page loads completely. When I stop using Spybot and Teatimer, the loadtime is much slower.

I have checked several times through the forums to find anyone with the same problem. No go. I have disabled all immunization plugins, etc. to see if that would speed things up. No go.

I have disabled the IE immunization part and my OPera browser still loads slow. I don't have this with Spywareblaster, Spywareguard or any other anti-spyware program.

Can someone give me some real help or advice here because I do like Spybot and use it for scanning offline and other things.

Welcome to the forums.
    You haven't stated what Operating System are you using.

What "kind" of dial-up are you using? Can you provide the ISP? Are you using the "56kbps" version of dial-up?

To be honest with you, 1.5 minutes to load a page seems a bit long, unless it's a page with lots of contents and images.

Have you upgraded to the latest version of Spybot-SD (1.6.0.30)?
    Quote Originally Posted by darksurfer View Post
    I'm on dialup and it using takes a 1 1/2 minutes before the page loads completely. When I stop using Spybot and Teatimer, the loadtime is much slower.
    Slower when Spybot-SD is not installed?

If you have not upgraded to the latest version (Spybot-SD and Opera) please do so.

Latest version of Opera is: 9.5.2
    Spybot-Search&Destroy: 1.6.0.30
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    --
    Please explain more about your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    You haven't stated what Operating System are you using.

What "kind" of dial-up are you using? Can you provide the ISP? Are you using the "56kbps" version of dial-up?

To be honest with you, 1.5 minutes to load a page seems a bit long, unless it's a page with lots of contents and images.

Have you upgraded to the latest version of Spybot-SD (1.6.0.30)?

Slower when Spybot-SD is not installed?

If you have not upgraded to the latest version (Spybot-SD and Opera) please do so.

Latest version of Opera is: 9.5.2
    Spybot-Search&Destroy: 1.6.0.30
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    --
    Please explain more about your situation.
    I am using a 56K dialup ISP. I ahve the latest version of Spybot as I said, so I have upgraded. I am using Windows ME.

The startup page I use is Freedomlist's, which does not have a lot of graphics, javascript, etc. per se.

This is the most frustrating part of using Spybot--for me. No other free spyware programs start as slow as this.

And as I said before, I use Opera 9 browser. I don't see what difference the ISP makes. It is a typical 56k, 92 compatible isp.

Not all dial-up connections are "typical" ; ). I'm not sure if upgrading having the latest version of Opera (9.5.2) will do any good...
    Quote Originally Posted by darksurfer View Post
    This is the most frustrating part of using Spybot--for me. No other free spyware programs start as slow as this.
    Now is the problem, Spybot starting slow or your connection???

I don't believe TeaTimer may be causing the conflict.

What do you mean by slow??? Can you be more specific?

Do you mean it takes "forever" to load a page?

I think you should know what a typical 56k dialup connection is but the issue here is, I am having a slow startup of my Opera 9XX browser everytime I use that Tea Timer.

All my attempts at disabling the immunization, browser protection hasn't speeded up my browser one bit. It's still slow.

I see that Opera loads faster when I turn off Tea Timer and get rid of the browser protection--i.e. don't use Spybot as a "realtime" protection at all.I only use Spybot as a scanner alone, oh well.

When I was using 1.4, this wasn't an issue. Something inside the newer Spybots (1.5 onwards) is slowing down my browser.

I am not going to use Spybot as long as it keeps slowing up my loadup times to as much as a minute and half. Spywareguard doesn't, Wincleaner Antispyware doesn't, Comodo BOC doesn't, only Spybot.

Does anybody else have this issue, I cannot believe that I am the only one.

Spybot-Search&Destroy does not intervene or hinder the performance of any other programs, less a Internet connection.

I am saying this truthfully, a Internet connection with 56kbps would be receiving a connection speed of 50kbps in real-time due to variables such as noise on the line or how far you are from the central office.

I used to be a 56kbps dial-up user in the past, and I was downloading Spybot-Search&Destroy at 6.0KB/second. That is normal for the dial-up connection (56kbps).

Have you attempted to download some content (let that be... SpywareBlaster since it is relatively small or BOCLEAN) and see the speed that your connection is getting (KB/sec.)?

Can you at least try to see if this occurs?

Default Opera (general), TT on Win98/ME

Hmm .. as noted, the new and improved TT does have a much more comprehensive base of detections and possibly may impose an 'extra' load on your system while browsing or during page loads (lol, it crashed me even while I was offline when I forgot to remove a verbose logging tweak ). Personally, I enable it mostly for testing or 'dicey' surfing to unknown websites or other situations where I think the extra realtime protection is a good idea - others with more powerful, up-to-date systems might find that the load is negligible and enable TT full-time as a startup item.

Possibly you may find some worthwhile hints at the general wiki for Opera, specifically the Performance page (I know I did ) .. note that some info may be a bit dated in reference to the latest 9.5 series. Imo, the wiki is a much less 'cluttered' resource than the regular Opera community pages

Quote Originally Posted by ME_2& View Post
    Hmm .. as noted, the new and improved TT does have a much more comprehensive base of detections and possibly may impose an 'extra' load on your system while browsing or during page loads (lol, it crashed me even while I was offline when I forgot to remove a verbose logging tweak ). Personally, I enable it mostly for testing or 'dicey' surfing to unknown websites or other situations where I think the extra realtime protection is a good idea - others with more powerful, up-to-date systems might find that the load is negligible and enable TT full-time as a startup item.

Possibly you may find some worthwhile hints at the general wiki for Opera, specifically the Performance page (I know I did ) .. note that some info may be a bit dated in reference to the latest 9.5 series. Imo, the wiki is a much less 'cluttered' resource than the regular Opera community pages

That's a good point ME_2&,

Perhaps the newer "refined" Tea Timer just imposes too much of a load on my 56K internet connection. I have a an older system and not as much memory, so this could be a factor. Oh, and by the way, I usually get connection speeds of 45 to 49k, not 50. Any connection above 53k is very difficult to get because of all variables involved in dialup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial-up

This site even says:

Performance

Modern dial-up modems typically have a maximum theoretical transfer speed of 56 kbit/s (using the V.90 or V.92 protocol), although in most cases 40-50 kbit/s is the norm. Factors such as phone line noise as well as the quality of the modem itself play a large part in determining connection speeds. Some connections may be as low as 20 kbit/s in extremely noisy environments, such as in a hotel room where the phone line is shared with many, many extensions.

So it appears that I have no other choice than to decide either to put up with the 1 1/2 minute Opera browser load time using TT or not using it all, getting faster load times.

ME_2&, that Opera wiki site is excellent. I refer to it quite a bit. I'll just stick with my Spywareblaster and guard for realtime spyware protection. Besides, Opera is such an excellent browser that many spyware problems don't appear, just by having this alone.

Of course, my motto is use the Holy Triad of Internet Security: three absolutely essential programs one should use on internet surfing is one, a good anti-virus program like Avast, AVG or Avira; two, a good firewall like Kerio 2.15 or Zone Alarm; and three, a good anti-spyware realtime program like Spywareguard and Spybot. And use Win Patrol. It keeps track of changes happening all over your computer.

These programs are freeware, by the way. I don't like paying for software. Guess I'm frugal--money's tight.

Of course other programs can be used like a good anti-spam program like Mailwasher. The last decent freeware version for this is here:

http://www.321download.com/LastFreew...tml#Mailwasher