Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Spybot 1.6 locking user registry hives

Hi Patmac,

Ok it sounds like your limited account profile is getting locked by Spybot. Let me explain what Spybot is doing. When you start Spybot from your Admin account, it will load any other user account profiles on the machine. It does this so it can scan all profiles for potential problems as well as immunize all accounts if you choose to do so. When Spybot is terminated, it should unload any other account profiles that were loaded. If it fails to unload your limited account profile then Windows will create a temporary profile when you try and log in to your limited account. A reboot should normally correct this problem. However some including myself have seen the reboot does not always clear the locked profile. In these cases a manual unload of the affected account must be done using regedit.

This problem has been corrected and is available in a Beta release. The beta is just the spybotsd.exe executable so just download 1.6.1.37 zip file and replace the exe in your spybot folder. You may download the beta here
    http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=37

You do not need to kill Tea Timer before your scans. I do not use Tea Timer but if I had to guess the 100% CPU usage might of been related to your limited account profile being locked. Hope this helps and let us no if you still have problems using the latest beta.

Hi Fixit,

Sorry to here that you were also affected by this problem. You download the latest Beta release here http://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=37
    that will correct this problem. In your case a reboot did not unlock you profile. In this case you can login to your Admin account and run Regedit. Open up the HKEY_USERS section of the registry. If you see and keys named PC_driveletter_accountname then highlight and click on File Unload Hive. This will free any profiles that Spybot has locked. Using system restore worked in your case but I have found that it can cause problems sometimes. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MrGreg; 2008-11-09 at 21:39.

MrGreg,
    Thanks. Is it safe for a limited knowledge user like myself to use a beta release?

Hi Patmac,

First I would like to say that you are not as limited in knowledge as you might think. The fact that you have two accounts, one Admin and one limited is a very smart approach to keeping your machine clean. Surfing the web with Admin priv's is a huge mistake that most people make. Surfing as a limited user as you do protects your machine from getting infected for the most part. Secondly you have the knowledge that you need to perform Antivirus and Spyware scans on a regular basis. This tells me you no more than most folks. The beta release is very stable and should cause you no problems. Please give it a try and let me no if this solves your problem. The official 1.6.1 release will be out soon. When it is released simply upgrade.