Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 1.6 locking user registry hives

it's not just limited user accounts
    I have a Game profile that has full rights and it done it to it also
    after last update it only done it to my game profile and it redirected it to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP

in the registry
    I had to change it back to Game

I think it might have to something to do with a early crash or shutdown
    it's not putting things back, useing the X would be constiered a unproper shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    because this problem happened to me even when i did not switch users, (if you look at my posting in this thread.) I have fast user service disabled, so i know it was not that that caused the problem. It just happened after finishing the scan, closing spybot and then logging off and logging on under a limited user account-i got the temp user thing. Even a restart did not help...

I am hoping this does not cause a problem with any more users, as this is a pain in the butt.

Going to run spybot scan-*fingers crossed this does not happen again*
    Even without Fast User Switching, maybe someone logged into one account and then logged off before you logged in and did the scan?

I'm waiting for 1.6.1, and after that checking here many times to be sure things are safe again.

Lightbulb haha nope, it is like it was stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Tivon View Post
    Even without Fast User Switching, maybe someone logged into one account and then logged off before you logged in and did the scan?

I'm waiting for 1.6.1, and after that checking here many times to be sure things are safe again.
    nope, i was the first user logged on

no one logged on and off before i did, nor before i started the spybot scan. In any rate, i restart now every time i run a spybot scan so that this issue does not occur again. So far nothing has happened.

A beta update (tested the last three days here) that fixes the user login problems by using the same key names a user login (see project tools) would create is now available in the download section
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    A beta update (tested the last three days here) that fixes the user login problems by using the same key names a user login (see project tools) would create is now available in the download section
    Great! I will test that asap

PepiMK, I've tested the 1.6.1.33 beta on two of machines, and I've got a couple of questions:

1) When 1.6.1.33 closes, is it supposed to unload the new SID keys the way 1.6.0 (usually) unloads the PE_C keys? On my main machine it loads the SID-named keys just fine, but never unloads them.

2) Is this version supposed to stop automatically enabling /nouserhives on machines with Terminal Services? I've been suspecting that /nouserhives was behind my problem in this thread, so I've been waiting for this update to come out.

I tried 1.6.1.33 on one of the two machines that was giving me trouble, and it still doesn't load any user hives (even with /allhives). If the Terminal Services check was supposed to be disabled in 1.6.1.33, then something else is keeping Spybot from loading user hives.

Thanks!

1. Yes it should. I also had the warning dialog when this does not work re-enabled for a short time, but then, we discussed the confusion of users who would not understand that a user switch might have been the reason for that.

2. Oh, someone describing a problem that clearly and I missed it :/
    I'll immediately add a new command line parameter /userhives to force these on Terminal Services! The beta was not yet supposed to disable the special treatment of Terminal Services, for two reasons: 1. the amount of testing, and 2. while XP and above are said to have no registry size limit, I experienced some, and TS servers might possibly have quite a lot of users.

As soon as I've come to update the Hint of the Day thing, there'll be another update

Hi Everyone,

I just tried the 1.6.1.33 beta version. The new SID hive(s) are not unloading on my machine either. The good news is that if you log off and then login to another user account with the SID hive(s) still loaded, the temporary profile is not created. It seems the SID hive(s) have solved the problem. However the SID hive(s) should still be unloaded when Spybot terminates. At least an attempt to unload them should occur. Thanks for fixing this one up PepiMK

Improved the unloading, did some testing re: Hint of the Day, update soon

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Improved the unloading, did some testing re: Hint of the Day, update soon
    Looks like people are working on this problem.. Yep, the sweat smell of progress is happening here.