Thread: Spybot S&D gives error message that updater not installed

Default Spybot S&D gives error message that updater not installed

I have Spyboy S&D 1.6 and when trying to update, keep getting the message that the external updater is corrupted and needs to be downloaded, but when I go to the "updater", there are no updates available from any US mirrors except for English descriptions, etc. which are (I guess) unnessesary. How can I get it to update when it keeps saying I need to run the updater and then there are no updates to apply?
    Also get the error message that "Blindman" file is corrupted and need to run updater (which again doesn't find any updates needed)
    Running Microsoft XP Pro with all current updates/packages and AVG free antivirus program.
    Thanks for any idea's!!
    Last edited by chrisluvsanimals; 2008-08-23 at 23:36. Reason: added information

You could try uninstalling,and reinstalling.
    http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html
    Spybot-S&D will uninstall from the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel without problems.

If you want to completely get rid of Spybot-S&D and the Add/Remove does not help, you can delete the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\), then download this very small fix and execute it (important! - this will remove all remains from the registry).

If you just want to upgrade to a newer version, please follow the same instructions like above and then install the new version.

After following these instructions please restart your system so that the changes can take place.

Unhappy I have The Same Updater/Blindman Problem As Well

I recently bought the personal home version of SpyBot (product version: 2.3.39). I got the message that the "updater" & "blindman" files were corrupt & to download the updater. I uninstalled it & then reinstalled, but I'm still receiving these same messages. I was using the "free" version of SpyBot & I thought this new version I bought would simply replace it. I don't know very much about computers, but I do feel SpyBot isn't working properly. Please "HELP"...

The free version of Spybot that you had prior to the personal home version,do you know if it was the Spybot 1.6.2 version,or was it the Spybot 2.3 or 2.4 version?
    Also,when installing the Home edition,were you prompted by Spybot to remove the older version of Spybot at any time?Also,is there currently a Spybot S&D Start Center icon on your desktop?

Exclamation

Thank You for your quick response!! In August 2012, I downloaded the Spybot 1.6.6 version. I think it had a "teatimer" associated with it as well. When I bought the personal home edition last month & installed it, it did ask me if I wanted to replace it with the older version. I responded with a "yes." Also, there is a Spybot-S&D Start Center icon on my desktop as well as a spybot2 license icon above it!

You're welcome.

Okay,sounds like the older version is gone,so it shouldn't be that acting up in some way.
    Blindman.exe and sdupdate are still part of the newer Spybot.When you uninstalled and reinstalled,those files should have been replaced,but you're still getting messages that they're corrupted,so perhaps when you reinstalled they became corrupted again,or something like that.And since you already did try uninstalling/reinstalling,it's probably not worth trying it again.

Your best bet might be to contact Spybot support.Here's a link to the page:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/support/
    You'll want to fill out the Home and Professional Editions form.Just let them know what's happening,and what you've tried so far.