Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer won't close when computer turned off

Default TeaTimer won't close when computer turned off

I downloaded the updates a couple days ago and now I cannot just run my computer off. It requires stopping with the Task Pane and then goes into hibernation, so I have to physically turn off the computer. I frequently need to turn the computer off and just leave so this is a great annoyance! The first time I came back a couple of hours later to find the computer (laptop) running on battery power with the task pane just sitting there asking "end now" or "cancel". Now I know I have to wait around because Tea Time doesn't work. Please help me get rid of it so that my computer will turn off when I ask it to! Thank you.
    Running: LeNovo 3000 C200 Laptop.
    CatLover

Lightbulb first off.....

1.) does this happen every time you go to shut down the computer?

2.) What version of windows and spybot version are you running? (spybot-help-about)

I have no problems on any of my machines. I would rather want to help you fix this issue for you then just having you disable the protection that teatimer offers.

In any case, you can safely disable teatimer by doing the following: open spybot. Click mode-advanced mode. click yes. click tools-resident. uncheck teatimer protection over all system active. then close spybot. restart, teatimer is now disabled.

I am having this problem as well, since I last updated SB a few weeks ago.

I am using Windows XP, Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2

I've have the same problem since running updates. when I close down the teatime doesn't automatically shut down you have to click end now for it to close.

I see 1.6 is out now. Can one download 1.6 on top of 1.5 or should 1.5 be removed first using either windows remove progs or uninstall from the start/progs etc folder (incidentally in th folder I have 2 uninstalls one refers to spybot S&D and another to spybot search & destroy)

Default Same problem here...

When shutting down the PC, I get the prompt where it says that TeaTimer.exe is not responding. If I let it go through the "ending program now" process, sometimes it will "freeze" there and the PC will just stay on with no icons on the screen, so now I close it manually to ensure the PC will indeed shut down. I have the following:

Windows XP - SP 2
    Spybot Version 1.5.2.20
    Latest Update Version 8/27/2008

Any help will be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks!

Hello,

You seem to be using a dated version of Spybot-S&D.
    Please download our current version Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6. That should fix it.
    You will find links to several download locations for this new version on our web site:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    Please search for new updates after installing Spybot-S&D 1.6.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    1.) does this happen every time you go to shut down the computer?

2.) What version of windows and spybot version are you running? (spybot-help-about)
    Hello Sir,
    I'm running a recently installed (i.e. fresh) WinXP Pro system and the only SS&D this system has ever seen is version 1.6.

I'm having the same problem with TeaTimer at shutdown, but it only started a couple of weeks ago. After reviewing what's already been said in a couple of different threads, it appears to me that it was caused by one of the updates sent out at that time.

I can also add that the program itself appears to be somewhat affected by whatever is causing this irregularity. Prior to this issue, I would actually see a response to my command that a file or folder be manually scanned (called through a context menu). The response was a pair of what looks like volume level meters showing the loading of the def files followed by a report on what it did or did not find. When I run a scan now, I get nothing. Now fancy loading bars, no report, not even a way to tell if the app had woken up by the command. Full scans induced through the main GUI appear to work just fine, though.

I've checked both HijackThis and SI's ProcessExplorer to make sure this wasn't the work of some malware killing off SS&D's abilities and the system is squeaky clean (something I rarely ever see on client's machines lol).

Any thoughts considering this additional input?

EDIT: This issue occurs at every reboot & shutdown. I have no use for Log Off, so I haven't tested whether it occurs then, too.
    Last edited by GMan.PCTT; 2008-09-05 at 06:17. Reason: Forgot to include frequency of issue
    Peace,
    Gman

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask"

ASUS A8N32SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
    2GB RAM
    WinXP Pro (x2)/Vista Multiboot

I was having the same issue before. I found out that if you ran the latest TeaTimer update and still on 1.5.2 then thats what caused it. The new TeaTimer update only works for 1.6.0 (and IMO TeaTimer on 1.6.0 sucks because its a HUGE resource hog)

I tried uninstalling 1.6.0 and reinstalling 1.5.2 and TeaTimer was still acting up.I had to system restore back to an earlier date before updating the newest TeaTimer update to get back to normal.

Default Hope Spybot Jumps in with an Answer Soon!

Same problem with the Dialogue Box freezing the shut-down of my system.

Windows XP SP3
    Spybot 1.5.2

If you do a google for this issue, you get LOTS of posts on various forums claiming that the TeaTimer running on SS&D 1.6 is a HUGE system hog. I have an older system that runs just fine for my needs, so please don't suggest that I buy a new system.

So, IS there an answer for those of us running older systems that don't have as much as 1.7gb in memory available for teatimer (one test forum's results)? Is a fix coming for this? Having been infected with a Trojan last month (while AVG and Spybot were running), I'm happy to have TeaTimer's protection available. At this point, however, a disable is looming in our near future.

Does anyone from Spybot have an answer to this issue of "system hog" on 1.6, please? Thanks for this forum.

Janis

Hello,

As i already said above version 1.5.2 is an old version.
    Please upgrade!

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot