Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: junocass

Default junocass

When I have Spybot check for errors, prior to checking, a message comes up stating that there are over 400 Temporary files that should be removed. When it asks if Spybot should remove same, I say "yes" but get another message that says they are all active and cannot be removed. This has only happened in the last week, and do not understand the problem. Do not know what the temporary files are - is there a way to find out?

Thumbs up The 'Temp' Files (<-- like The 'X' Files - such a bad joke!)

Hi junocass,

Temporary files are created by an application to temporarily store data (clues in the name ). For example, your web browser(s) probably stores your most recently visited web pages on your computer. The files are stored in a folder that acts as a cache so that subsequent requests are retrieved from the local hard disk.

Sometimes, the applications won't delete all the temporary files they created, and over time they can "bog down" your system which can also slow down scanning times.

Clearing out temporary files is totally safe - after all they are just "temporary" files

I say "yes" but get another message that says they are all active and cannot be removed.
    The message is saying that an application(s) is currently using the data in temporary files. This could have caused because maybe you had web browser open or another application. To clear out the files, try opening Spybot-S&D as soon as your computer gets into Windows so that any temporary files wont be in use or 'active'.

Hope that helps,

honda
    Last edited by honda12; 2008-10-26 at 10:24. Reason: Added 2 words

Default temporary files

I did as you suggested, opened Spybot immediately I opened Windows and got the same result - somewhere there are over 400 files shown as being used. I deleted all of the history sites except for todays, thinking that might help, but no luck. Wonder where I would find the "cache" for these temporary files on my computer? do you know? Some glitch has occurred respecting these files, as this has never happened before, as mentioned previously. Your consideration and help is most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by honda12 View Post
    Clearing out temporary files is totally safe - after all they are just "temporary" files

The message is saying that an application(s) is currently using the data in temporary files. This could have caused because maybe you had web browser open or another application. To clear out the files, try opening Spybot-S&D as soon as your computer gets into Windows so that any temporary files wont be in use or 'active'.
    Thanks honda12.
    junocass, the general idea is that the more temp. files in your machine equals a longer scanning time. Spybot-Search&Destroy will attempt to cleanup the files that are not longer in use or no longer used to speed up scanning time.

If Spybot does not do the job at removing the Temp. Files, you can download ATF Cleaner by Atribune (50KB) and cleanup the temp. files from there. Run it (a standalone .exe, no installer) and click "Select All" and 'Empty'.

After that see if that triggers the prompt.

Have a "cleaner" and ran temp. files through it. Still no luck, SpyBot still asking about the 400 files to be removed. Am wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall SpyBot????

Quote Originally Posted by junocass View Post
    Have a "cleaner" and ran temp. files through it.
    Meaning you ran 'ATF Cleaner' already?
    I'm not sure if uninstalling and reinstalling will help, because it will still detect the files in the Temp. folder.

ATF should have done the job and cleaned it.

No, I have CCleaner, and ran it. Is there a difference between it and ATF Cleaner?

No, there is not. Both CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) and ATF Cleaner are good tools. Thing is that, I could not mention or suggest CCleaner to you because it includes a registry cleaner. But both are good tools.

CCleaner should have cleared the Temp. files that are older than 48 hours.

Do you still see the prompt?

Yes, I still see the prompt and what concerns me, when I ask SpyBot to remove the temporary files, they come back and say that they cannot remove them as they are still in use. This is a puzzling problem, is it not? One more thing, when I search for updates, SpyBot has not had an update for over a week, is that not strange? Thank you also, for your concern and help.
    Last edited by junocass; 2008-10-28 at 15:36.

Lightbulb

Spybot updates once a week on Wednesdays usually after 1pm GMT, though occasionally there will be the odd minor update before or after this date.

Last weeks updates are dated 2008/10/22.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!