Thread: I'm new to Spybot; Help for beginner

Default I'm new to Spybot; Help for beginner

As the title of this thread would suggest, I've just downloaded the Spybot - Search & Destroy internet security freeware. I'd like some advice and/or help to get this all geared to go so I don't have to bother with the entire thing too much.

I've heard that Spybot can be dangerous to use and delete many things, so I haven't done anything to it yet such as what I would assume a daily scan, and other features. If anyone could explain step-by-step the features or components I should "check" or allow/disallow.

Also, what is the (for blind users) addition? I'm certainly not blind , but I'm sure it's for something else? What could that be? Do I even need it? Should I delete it?

I'm also using AVG 8.0, or the latest edition. Would that be a problem? When I scan Spybot, I would likely scan AVG alongside it. Should I do something to AVG that would help it correspond with Spybot? Or should I not even use AVG, though I've heard it's a good software.

* My internet security basically holds AVG and Spybot. I can't afford any high-quality anti-virus/spyware right now unfortunately, or will these two work fine?

I've heard there are issues with immunization? Would that be a difficulty?

Now for some information to help. I'm the administrator of this computer, basically. I'm using XP Home Edition. I use Mozilla Firefox mainly, but Opera at times as well because of its speed. Hmm, that's basically it, didn't want to write an essay but I figure these are important questions.

I'll check in a day or two to possibly provide information or give praise for your help! Thanks in advance, I hope to be a frequent customer!

A warm welcome to you Scarker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarker View Post
    I've heard that Spybot can be dangerous to use and delete many things, so I haven't done anything to it yet such as what I would assume a daily scan, and other features.
    First off, I was curious about what you said. Where did you hear that? Spybot-SD is just as basic as it is. A simple GUI, providing the user with the option to perform a scan, Immunize, and Update. For advanced users who want to take advantage of Spybot's addition features and want to explore, there is a 'Advanced Mode' available.

The 'for blind users' feature, changes Spybot's skin so it is optimized for colorblind users. There would not really be much of a difference. It is up to you to decide. IMHO, there wouldn't be a significant difference if you delete. I would just leave it as it is.

AVG 8.0 a reputable, robust anti-virus program. Spybot and AVG make a great team, so there's no problem with your configuration. So you do not have to "configure" or change any settings. They should work fine.
    *PS: Just wanted to add that: You should use a firewall too.
    --
    There should be no difficulty with Spybot-SD's Immunization feature. Basically, what it does is that it adds malicious (bad) sites to your browsers restricted zone and also adds those entries to Windows HOSTS file.

To sum it all up, you have a fine configuration and if had a firewall (or if you mentioned it) it would been even better.

Safe surfing.

Hmm, can you recommend any good firewall software?

Also, how would I go about having it do a daily task of scanning, deleting viruses, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarker View Post
    I've heard that Spybot can be dangerous to use and delete many things, so I haven't done anything to it yet such as what I would assume a daily scan, and other features.
    Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    First off, I was curious about what you said. Where did you hear that?
    It'd be great if you could have answered my questions : ).

A Firewall discussion thread is available in the Tavern.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=18603
    --
    So you do not have a firewall at the moment?

AVG 8.0 a reputable, robust anti-virus program. Spybot and AVG make a great team, so there's no problem with your configuration. So you do not have to "configure" or change any settings. They should work fine.
    I agree. I run both without any interference. But with regard to the SCANS, although they can be run together, I prefer to run then separately. Why? Well they are both I/O intensive (i.e., heavy disk use) when running scans thus they may slow down each other along with any other work you may be doing at the same time. However the actual results will depend on your CPU speed as well as the speed of your hard drive(s).

This is just cautionary. Observe running both ways and then do what seems the best for you.

It'd be great if you could have answered my questions : ).
    I heard of it from a social bookmarking site which said basically when in advanced mode it could possibly mess things up but when used properly it can work wonders. So how do I get this working? Can I just set it up so it scans daily automatically? Deletes things? Also, whenever I'm doing stuff Spybot gives a popup asking to allow or deny the change? Is that what happens to you? Is there a way to divide allowance and denying to the good and the bad?

Thank you Tom for the clarification. I forgot to mention that in my previous post .

Social website? Well, I do partially agree, if you do not know what you are doing and are randomly wandering and clicking in Advanced Mode, it can potentially "mess" things up.

Well, it depends on the user's motives. Like what do you want to achieve or configure in Advanced Mode? May that be... skins, Languages, or Spybot's Resident Shields just to name a few.

Yes, you can manually setup Spybot in Advanced Mode to perform daily scans. However, I would suggest you instruct Spybot to prompt you of the entries before deleting something, as there are chances that can be a possible false positive.

The 'Allow' and 'Deny' prompts are part of Spybot's TeaTimer Resident Shield. Here's a brief explanation of TeaTimer:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
    --
    In the past, novice/beginner users using TeaTimer may have some difficulties, because of the prompts they encounter. In TeaTimer (Spybot-SD 1.6), Patrick M. Kolla introduced the use of black&whitelists based on LASSHes so, it will ease the situation on the prompts.

Scarker, are you having troubles understanding what the prompts mean? If you really do not understand it and do not wish to use it anymore, you can disable it.

You also have the option to schedule scans. Run Spybot>Advanced Mode>Settings>Settings. If you scroll down, the options will be presented to you.