Thread: TeaTimer Update

Default TeaTimer Update

TeaTimer icon does not load on Taskbar as usual and then when closing down Windows XP (2) TeaTimer.exe box appears followed by Programme Not Responding . Physical closing of programme is required before computer will shut down. This occurred after carrying out an update on 26/8/08 which included an update for TeaTimer. Running Spy Bot 1.5.2.20.Version. Notice that there is now Versions 1.6 available. Is this a conflict

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ken895 View Post
    TeaTimer icon does not load on Taskbar as usual and then when closing down Windows XP (2) TeaTimer.exe box appears followed by Programme Not Responding . Physical closing of programme is required before computer will shut down. This occurred after carrying out an update on 26/8/08 which included an update for TeaTimer. Running Spy Bot 1.5.2.20.Version. Notice that there is now Versions 1.6 available. Is this a conflict
    Can you provide some details of your PC.
    What is the speed and type of the CPU?
    How much memory is fitted?
    What operating system do you have, and what Service packs are installed?
    What browser/s are installed?
    What Antivirus and what Firewall software do you have installed.
    What other antispyware is installed?

Normally I would have expected the new version of Teatimer to have been used in conjunction with the latest 1.6.0.30 or 31 version of Spybot, and to be honest I don't know how well it interfaces to the older 1.5.2.20 version.

I would suggest you download the new version of Spybot and install it, however before you do the install, undo all of the immunisations in the current version, turn off teatimer and then uninstall the old version.

For further details on how to uninstall refer http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html. You may also like to run the very small fix referred on that page to remove the old registry entries.

You will then be able to do a clean install of the new version. When you do you will be offered some options during the install. I find it preferable to NOT install Teatimer or the SD browser add on in the initial install, and to not download the updates during the installation.

Once the install has been completed and before starting Spybot, clean out your temporary files at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp, and at C:\Windows\Temp. Also start your browser and clean out the browser cache.

Now start Spybot. Click on Search for updates on the main screen of Spybot and download them, then do an immunise.

Put Spybot into Advanced mode, then click on Tools, then System Startup. Right click anywhere in the screen that appears, and then click on create snapshot. If you are using Internet Explorer then enable the Browser add on (Spybot/tools/resident then tick resident SD helper. When all of the above is working correctly, enable Teatimer (Spybot/tools/resident then tick the Teatimer box.

Please note - during installation and whilst carrying out the above, ensure that your browser is NOT open.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-08-28 at 11:45.

Default TeaTimer Update

Thanks for your reply but I do have trouble finding my way around the site and have just picked up my original postings. I have already concluded with the help from other postings that this problem has defiantly been caused by the update I did on 26/8/08. On checking reports my TeaTimer has a version number 1.6.2.23 dated 18/8/2008 (i.e. eight days before I noticed the TeaTimer update being available) My Spy-Bot Version is 1.5.2.20 dated 28/01/2008. I stopped TeaTimer running through ‘Run-msconfig-start and then un-ticking TeaTimer. This has stopped TeaTimer interfering with shutdown and is not running at this time as far as I know. A temporary measure. I shall update to 1.6 Spy-Bot in the near future. On a second point I also updated my wife’s machine with the same TeaTimer on the same date. This runs Vista Business as opposed to my XP(2). On this computer I now can not even start Spy-Bot up due to a message saying a file is missing. I shall investigate this further when time permits.
    Details of my Computer:-

Sony Laptop FS215S
    CPU Intel Pentium M 750 1.86GHz
    Memory 512MB (2x256MB)
    HDD 100GB
    Microsoft Windows XP Home (2)
    Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11IS
    Kaspersky 7.0.0.125
    Ad Ware 2008 (Free Addition)

Default TeaTimer Update

Problem solved with clean install of Spybot 1.6.30 and update to TeaTimer 1.6.2.23. Install of new Spybot not entirely to plan as “Spybot Wizard” took control but no problem with this. Now to fix My wife’s computer which will not load Spybot.Thanks for help.