Thread: SPYBOT Host File, blocking websites.

Default SPYBOT Host File, blocking websites.

Greetings. I am wondering if there is a way to block websites using spybot s&d. I took a look at the host files in advance options, but I don't see anyway to add a website. I'd like to be able to block www.myspace.com and all of their alternate addresses. I am a novice computer user, and have had trouble with blocking myspace with directions provided at other tech forums.

Try using a hosts file manager such as this.

This might also be of some use:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

hphosts hostsfile blocks myspace but not everything on myspace. mvps hostsfile doesnt block so very much on myspace. if you use hostsman then you will find hphosts and mvps hostsfiles in the updater, there is also a hostsfile server in hostsman you can use to avoid seeing these error messages when some sites are blocked. make sure to use the setting overwrite in hostsman to avoid the hostsfile grow endlessly with outdated entries, and then you just merge the spybot hostsfile with the others, you must do that everytime you update them. you can choose which hostsfiles you want to use in hostsman and you can disable the hostsfile with it too but then you get no protection from the hostsfiles and you are then able to visit all the sites again. you can also add sites to the hostsfile manually but they will get deleted everytime you overwrite the hostsfile so then you must add them again.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-02 at 14:59.