Thread: Cannot run spybotsd160 or any other .exe

Default Cannot run spybotsd160 or any other .exe

Here is my issue --- if I run a search in Google or any other search engine for that matter, and then click on any of my hits, I get redirected to an adware page. So obviously, I have adware..... I have tried to download and install SpyBot S&D and turns out, the adware/virus has disabled my ability to run any .exe files. It give me the error "xxx.exe is not a valid Win32 application". This infact happens to ALL .exe files.

I am also blocked from all security/anti-virus websites. I can go to the website if I got to it by IP, but not by name. I tried to go to Kaspersky's online scan page by IP and tried to run the online scan, and it wouldn't run.

I also tried to log into the machine in safe mode (win xp) and the safe mode comes up fine...but I still get the same error when I try to run any .exe files.

Help please! I am trying to fix my dad's computer and it looks like his anti-virus license has expired, so we def. know how the virus got thru :-/. Thanks in advance!

Hello.

Can you produce a HJT log as shown in the topic here: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Note:

If you have lost your Internet connection on the infected computer, or otherwise cannot post from that machine; you can download HJT to a clean PC if one is available.
    1. Upload to infected machine
    2. Place HJT into own folder
    3. Run HJT on the infected PC and post the log you produce using the clean PC.
    If so, please copy paste the HJT log into a new topic you would start here: Malware Removal Forum

Please do not post it in this forum for Spybot-S&D support.

Let us know how it goes.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016